6mm Aluminum plate cut quality

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
dovrosenberg
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

6mm Aluminum plate cut quality

Post by dovrosenberg »

I just finished building my CNC Plasma cutter table using plans from JDs Garage. I have a PrimeWeld Cut60 I am using. I tried cutting some 1/4" (6mm) aluminum plate but a lot of bad things happened. According to the PrimeWeld manual - for that size plate, I should use 45 amps at 1365 mm/min. My GRBL used 1600 mm/min - the setting I used for 1/8" steel plate. Some issues I see in the attached pictures:
  • The holes are tapered - wide at the top, narrow at the bottom
  • The holes are not round
  • the cut marks look like they are angled too much
  • The piece got so hot in places it seemed like it almost welded itself to the table
  • The cut quality in general was a lot rougher than the steel bracket I made
I used Fusion 360 to generate the gcode. Thanks in advance for any insights. This is my first time using a CNC and plasma cutter
IMG_5045.jpeg
IMG_5047.jpeg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 6mm Aluminum plate cut quality

Post by acourtjester »

If you cut a square are all sides tapered?? or only on 2 sides. This will tell you if the torch is not square with the metal surface. Hole seem to be cut better with a reduced speed from straight cuts. When piercing there should be only a slight delay before the torch moves on the the cutting operation. this may be why your rewelding the hole, Aluminum cutting is a totally different action then steel. 1600 MM seems to be faster then you should be moving for 1/4" I have not cut aluminum but cut 1/4" steel are 1200 MM. Holes not being round is caused by distance differences in the X and Y axis movement. You need to calibrate the X and Y axis travel distance.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 6mm Aluminum plate cut quality

Post by robertspark »

with grbl I suspect you will run into acceleration limitations.... your cuts will be ok (better than hand cut) but never production quality because of acceleration

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”