Lead In/Out help

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Lead In/Out help

Post by zayne19 »

Hello,

I have a basic picture attached, but when I make a project, I am having this blown out spot from when the cut initially starts. I think that is the Lead In. How do I keep this from happening?

Thanks for the help!
metal.jpg
poplarhillmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Lead In/Out help

Post by poplarhillmetalworks »

Can you adjust your lead ins prior to cutting? I use Flashcut and can adjust prior to sending to CNC to cut
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

Yes, we use SheetCam TNG. I can adjust any aspect. I just didn't know what to adjust it to to get it to stop.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

in SheetCam you can adjust the length of the lead in and out and also make the pierce delay as short as the metal thickness will allow.
lead in.JPG
lead in 2.JPG
lead in 2.JPG (52.46 KiB) Viewed 236 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

If the blown out spot is bothering you then it is likley because you are seeing it on your finished piece which leads me to believe you are not actually using a Lead In but rather piercing directly on what is to be your finished line.

In the example below, we have no lead in on the left so the torch will pierce in the corner and blow out a spot, on the right we have a lead in so the blown out spot will be in the waste where no one cares.

Are you using lead in's or just have terminology incorrect?
LeadIn.png
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

weldguy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:14 pm If the blown out spot is bothering you then it is likley because you are seeing it on your finished piece which leads me to believe you are not actually using a Lead In but rather piercing directly on what is to be your finished line.

In the example below, we have no lead in on the left so the torch will pierce in the corner and blow out a spot, on the right we have a lead in so the blown out spot will be in the waste where no one cares.

Are you using lead in's or just have terminology incorrect?
Yes I am using a Lead In. So to keep that small spot from cutting or being seen outside of my cutline, I need to set it to no Lead in?
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

Here is a picture of a small donation sign we cut in class. If you zoom in, you can see the small blown out spots on the corners where it would start the cuts. I had a lead in of .2 and I believe the lead out was 0. Any recommendations on changes?
Sign.JPG
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You can see and move locations of start lead in and outs. You need to have enough length for the lead in/out for inside cuts for them to happen.
lead in.jpg
lead in3.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

gap at end of loop.jpg
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

zayne19 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:19 am Yes I am using a Lead In. So to keep that small spot from cutting or being seen outside of my cutline, I need to set it to no Lead in?
No, you want to use a lead in. If you are able to place the lead in wherever you want you can be selective where you place it. In the image below I show your lead ins in green and my choice of lead in location in red. You can see mine will flow into the part rather thank make an abrupt direction change. Also I don;t like using lead outs on thin material but maybe that's just me.
Lead in.png

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”