wonky files

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
rife
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

wonky files

Post by rife »

I use Torchmate cad for drawing, Sheetcam, Mach3 and sometimes Inkscape to vectorize an image..When I do that, everything looks great in CAD, great in sheetcam and great in mach but when I cut the file the sharp corners are rounded and a lot of detail lost. Where was it lost ?

I should add that the last one I added text in torchmate cad and manipulated the drawing a bit but when I cut it, the text was wonky but the rest cut fine.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: wonky files

Post by sonbakler »

I read something about that here a while back and tried to dig it up but couldnt find it. Hopefully someone else here can chime in.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Can you post pics of what your seeing?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

rife wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:52 pm I use Torchmate cad for drawing, Sheetcam, Mach3 and sometimes Inkscape to vectorize an image..When I do that, everything looks great in CAD, great in sheetcam and great in mach but when I cut the file the sharp corners are rounded and a lot of detail lost. Where was it lost ?

I should add that the last one I added text in torchmate cad and manipulated the drawing a bit but when I cut it, the text was wonky but the rest cut fine.
What format are you saving your TMCad files? Perhaps post one of your files (TMCAd, dxf, etc.) so we can have a look. I do have TMCad on one of my computers. Also - what plasma table/controller are you using?

David
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

rife wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:52 pm ..... but when I cut the file the sharp corners are rounded and a lot of detail lost. Where was it lost ?
acceleration!!!!

what feedrate were you cutting at and what acceleration is your machine set at?

with plasma, acceleration is key, especially if you want sharp corners (well as sharp as a plasma torch can cut).....
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

robertspark wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:51 am
rife wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:52 pm ..... but when I cut the file the sharp corners are rounded and a lot of detail lost. Where was it lost ?
acceleration!!!!

what feedrate were you cutting at and what acceleration is your machine set at?

with plasma, acceleration is key, especially if you want sharp corners (well as sharp as a plasma torch can cut).....
Very good point, maybe its slowing down to a snails pace in the corners and getting back up to speed too slowly and burning away the corners. Makes the most sense since you mention that on screen it all looks good. If you have an EasyScriber to pen marker you can run the design with that and see if the corners are crisp.

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”