Barrier mold plates

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
SCHIDTHEAD
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Barrier mold plates

Post by SCHIDTHEAD »

A customer we built an attachable 6' tall barrier mold for a Gomaco 3 track machine last year asked us to build him 60--34" x 120" mold plates for his interstate concrete barrier jobs they do through out Colorado. They bolt together on ends and are anchored to the ground with rod stakes to form a continuous 34" tall wall.
Attachments
IMG_20110412_215600.jpg
IMG_20110412_215051.jpg
IMG_20110412_215025.jpg
IMG_20110412_214944.jpg
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."--Thomas Paine 1776
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Barrier mold plates

Post by WSS »

Great job in many ways! 60 pieces is quite a feat. I assume they pour concrete in them and let it set and remove them? Are these the barriers for center dividers that are shaped to kick drivers back on the road? I have seen black tire marks way up on this type of wall. They usually arc back down. I would have to go change my shorts after a move like that.

WSS
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigrhamr »

WSS wrote:Great job in many ways! 60 pieces is quite a feat. I assume they pour concrete in them and let it set and remove them? Are these the barriers for center dividers that are shaped to kick drivers back on the road? I have seen black tire marks way up on this type of wall. They usually arc back down. I would have to go change my shorts after a move like that.

WSS
Yeah and they really work as designed. Once when I was a lot younger and even dumber than I am now I ran up on one, I guess because my buddies didn't think I would. :roll:

That's a lot of work, looks like a good job to have.
SCHIDTHEAD

Post by SCHIDTHEAD »

Thats what they r WSS. and a heck of a pain in the arss to get the plate, even though the radius is broke to within an 1/8th, to suck up to the struts without any gaps in the radius or the straights. The state only gives us 1/4" tolerances and heat on the top and bottom rails were our worst enemy. The first 10 were quite a learning curve, but my partner and I did a nice job on them if I do say myself and the customer was happy with them because of the weight.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."--Thomas Paine 1776
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Its funny how they do the same thing different in other places. I think most if not all of these walls used in KY are precast and hauled to the site. Dont see ts any better than pour in place maybe faster, different strokes for dif folks.
Looks like they turned out realy good, when you finish a project and it works and looks good, there is a certian feeling that people who dont build, fab, or create things will never know.
I will spend $100.00 on materials to build what i could have bought for$ 50.00 sometime, just because it is done the way i want it and i can say i made it,
Mike
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

I work for power curbers and build all their molds.our customers do all their barrier walls slip form. never seen this done like that?
SCHIDTHEAD

Post by SCHIDTHEAD »

We built them a 6' tall slip mold last year with the CA barrier profile; these molds are used in areas where the Gomaco curb machine may not be able to track.
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

ahhh, I see

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”