inkscape

Post by trucks1948 »

Can we start a discussion on inkscape?
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: inkscape

Post by Dawgonhawg »

I second the motion. I would like to learn how to use the software.
4R8
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 4R8 »

Hmm, thought this thread might have taken off.

Feel free to post your questions, if I can help, i will. I'm no expert but definitely getting some impressive results. (I think so anyway)

Here's a little example of what can be achieved.

I completed this while constructing a tutorial for another site a little while ago. It was a photo submitted by another member for me to use as the demo.

The photo below is the original photo submitted.
Attachments
twisty truck.jpg
twisty truck.jpg (52.64 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
4R8
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 4R8 »

I decided to simplify a few things like the reeds to allow it to be cut fairly small. Chose a mountain style background for this reason also and it sets the scene a bit better.

I'd post a link to the tutorial but the site is down and has been for a few weeks (I believe the admin is overseas on holiday). Not sure on when/if it'll be back up and running again.

If there are enough questions, I may look at redoing the tutorial over here with a few touch ups.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

WOW. That looks great.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just saw this thread and added this Inkscape forum to main list for everyone. Looking forward to seeing what it brings.

Nice job on the image conversion, that looks great :!:
4R8
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 4R8 »

Cheers guys!

Admin, Thanks for the forum addition. Inkscape really is a great program sharing a few similarities with some high end software.

Once i get a hold of the guy who submitted the photo, I'll post the DXF here or in the sharing forum.

The addition of Inkscape to a separate forum will avoid questions and answers being lost on previous pages.

Thanks
4R8
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 4R8 »

I've spoken with the bloke in which supplied the photo. He's happy for me to post the DXF for it.
Please, if anyone is to cut it, post a pic here or in the sharing section where it is also posted. If you want any adjustments or if there are any hassles, let me know.
Attachments
Twist lux-b.dxf
(155.79 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
4R8
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 4R8 »

Provided this is okay to do (link to another forum)

http://ozf.com.au/public_html/forum/vie ... f=44&t=488

The above is a quick tutorial I did on using Inkscape for the outcome in this thread. There are a few missing attachments at the moment due to a recent forum upgrade. I'll sort those out in the next few days.

If preferred, I can easily transfer the tutorial to a thread here.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

4R8 thanks for sharing your tutorial.
wapitismith
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by wapitismith »

This is good to see. I am a Unix user, so Inkscape is the goto software for vector art. I use a combination of GIMP, Inkscape and Qcad. I haven't found anything that has presented a real problem yet. The only challenge is that PlasmaCam only works in windoze and I have to clean up DXF files to transfer between them.

But the results are incredible...

This is a deer that my father shot. I took a picture of him after he was mounted to make him a plaque. Here is how far I've gotten to date. I have included the b&w photo (cleaned up in Gimp) a png of the vector (made with inkscape) and the dxf output from Inkscape.

When I clean it up and put it into the Plasmacam, I'll make it available too.
Attachments
uncle_buck_outline.png
uncle_buck_outline.dxf
(191.14 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
uncle_buck_plasma.png
uncle_buck_plasma.png (75.8 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
WapitiSmith

"There are strange things done in the midnight sun..."
wapitismith
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by wapitismith »

I forgot to mention, my step-mother is a quilter. If I figure out the colors first, then convert it to B&W for the plasma-cam, she can use the file to cut out the applique on her fabric cutting machine. Kills two birds with one stone, so to speak.
WapitiSmith

toko
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by toko »

does inkscape do any better with dxf export than corel?
wapitismith
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by wapitismith »

I'm not very familiar with Corel any longer. But Inkscape will import DXF fairly well. The issues arise from the latest versions of DXF. AutoCADs R13 is the best and tends to be the standard for most G-Code programs. As with any DXF, they are not meant for solid shapes, other than closed polylines. That is the area that any line-to-vector conversion will have issues. I use Inkscape almost exclusively, although I do some clean up work with QCAD. Design Edge by PlasmaCAM seems to have a very well developed drafting program to work with DXF. Their only real draw back is the strict stance on proprietary formats. Not many cross application formats.

One thing to note, If you have indicated a light color in your DXF, it may appear that Inkscape didn't import the DXF file. Select all objects on all layers and change them to a dark (black) pen.

I hope that helps,

Mike
WapitiSmith

4R8
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 4R8 »

toko wrote:does inkscape do any better with dxf export than corel?
I haven't used Corel and as Wapitsmith has said, use Inkscape almost exclusively.

I haven't had any issues with Export from Inkscape to DXF and likewise with importing DXF into Inkscape for adjustment.
I use Autocad for technical/engineering/fabrication pieces and Inkscape for art pieces.

It exports into R13 DXF which as mentioned is used/recognised by the majority of CAD & CAM software, if not all.

Return to “Inkscape”