Software

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
sasf430
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Software

Post by sasf430 »

What software is best and cheap to use to make outlines for future CNC Plasma work?
Chopper John
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Software

Post by Chopper John »

When you say outlines are you talking about silhouettes?
Chopper John
Mad City Cycles, Inc.

"Every piece of paper has two good sides... Unless you use magic marker then you're f*cked."
sasf430
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by sasf430 »

Yes, the ability to outline, then convert those outlines into cut paths without all of the tracing...

Steve
Chopper John

Post by Chopper John »

I'm really starting to like Corel Draw( it has a trace function) but it's kinda pricey, aruond $400.00 I think. I remember seeing it on this site selling new at half that price but don't know if it's still available. I see a lot of people here use Inkscape and it's free but I have never used it. I have seen some of the files done with it and they are not too bad. I use AutoCAD for most of my stuff becauce that is what I learned when I started it just is'nt the best for artistic drawings like Corel Draw and Illustrator are.

Not a lot info but hope it helps, maybe someone esle can do better.
Chopper John
Mad City Cycles, Inc.

"Every piece of paper has two good sides... Unless you use magic marker then you're f*cked."
sasf430
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by sasf430 »

Chopper John wrote:I'm really starting to like Corel Draw( it has a trace function) but it's kinda pricey, aruond $400.00 I think. I remember seeing it on this site selling new at half that price but don't know if it's still available. I see a lot of people here use Inkscape and it's free but I have never used it. I have seen some of the files done with it and they are not too bad. I use AutoCAD for most of my stuff becauce that is what I learned when I started it just is'nt the best for artistic drawings like Corel Draw and Illustrator are.

Not a lot info but hope it helps, maybe someone esle can do better.
John, it does help I will investigate both., Thank you
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

You can use plasma trace from plasma777.com to generate a DXF from a BMP, and Draftsight to do the CAD functions. That will get you started for free....
cjdavis618
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cjdavis618 »

On Corel Draw, you can get the Corel X5 home and Student version which has all the same features you would need for about $100 or less. I got mine from Amazon.
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

I have been using Adobe Photoshop and Plasma Cam software to trace items. I recently obtained Corel DrawX5 and I love it. A lot to learn.

Dave Hanks

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”