first time converter

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
dquin
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

first time converter

Post by dquin »

I'm trying to learn to convert my own jpg pdf or bit files to dxf. I've heard of corel, inkscape and adobe illustrator. but like I said i am fairly new and would like a user friendly program. any suggestions??
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: first time converter

Post by Gamelord »

I use Corel and Adobe. Corel is fairly simple to learn but Adobe is a bit more powerful. If you are doing this all on your own and don't ever plan on sending your files to anyone else then Corel will probably work great for you. Corel does have a few very minor bugs that can be frustrating.

Adobe is the industry standard and is a super stable program. Unfortunately is is also exceptionally expensive.

I haven't used Inkscape so can't comment on that one.

Both Corel and Adobe have a free limited time download where you can download the program for free and play with it for 30 days before deciding to purchase. You may want to try those out and see which one you like better. I originally started on Corel many many years ago so that has been my main staple of a program but because of some of the annoying bugs, I have been switching over to Adobe more and more. Both programs are very powerful and will do what you need them to do. Some things are easier to do in Corel, others are easier to do in Adobe....it really just comes down to what you are most comfortable using.

If you are dead serious about getting into drawing, you may want to take a look at your local college. Here UNLV offers classes on Adobe Illustrator in their continuing education program. Classes are between $200 - $300 bucks and you have an instructor who will take you step by step learning how to use the program to its full potential. Also, if you are a student, you can purchase Adobe and Corel both at student discount prices which could save you more than the entire cost of the class. Just learning the basics could be more than enough to create good quality cutable DFX files.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
dquin
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: first time converter

Post by dquin »

I appreciate the info. Taking a class sounds like a very good idea don't think I can go wrong by doing that. Thanks!

Return to “Inkscape”