ELECTRICAL QUESTION - Re Phase Convertor

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
pdjcutandfab
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

ELECTRICAL QUESTION - Re Phase Convertor

Post by pdjcutandfab »

I have a Torchmate 3 system with a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster A120 hooked to it. The current building that I'm in has 3 phase power. I'm looking at another building that only has single phase 220 (he runs "convertors" on his 3 phase equipment). I remember reading that a phase convertor shouldn't be used with a plasma cutter, does anybody have any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance

Pat W.
PDJ Cutting and Fabricating
coupebuilder
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: ELECTRICAL QUESTION

Post by coupebuilder »

I just purchased a Koike plasma table and I am in the same type of situation---we have single phase and run most of our three phase machines with rotary style converters. I was always under the impression that high draw equipment like welders and plasmas can't run off a converter. I called American Rotary who I bought my biggest (and best/quietest) converter from and posed the same question. Evidently you can run a large plasma off the converter but to run a 100 amp machine took in the neighborhood of a 60 HP converter---about 3500.00 bucks. To make the story short I purchased the A120 with it but ours is single phase----I wasnt aware they offered a 3 phase version of the same. Since my table has yet to be installed, how do you like the A120 ? Any info you can share on it---cut quality etc etc.
pdjcutandfab

Post by pdjcutandfab »

My only experience so far has been with Mild Steel around 3/16" Thick, but with that material the machine cuts like butter, very little cleanup after the cut is done (what cleanup there is in most cases just falls off). In the next couple weeks i'd like to experiment with thicker steel (up to 1/2") and even try some Stainless. I have tried a little bit of Aluminum but I haven't played around with that enought to comment either good or bad. Hope this helps.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Rotary phase converters work fine with plasma cutters...especially with the newer inverter based plasma systems such as Hypertherm's Powermax 1650. (all of the other Powermax's (the 1250, 1000, 45 and 30 operate on single phase). It is a good idea to size the phase converter for double the plasma systems max current draw.....as plasma systems have a high inrush current rating for starting the arc.

Jim Colt

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”