DIY Metal Scribe

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

DIY Metal Scribe

Post by acourtjester »

I get emails from Instructables and this was one the one today, passing it for those who would like to build their own.
https://www.instructables.com/Pneumatic ... dium=email
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DIY Metal Scribe

Post by robertspark »

you got to be really short on money and long on free time to build that one looking at the YouTube clip
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

robertspark wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:32 pm you got to be really short on money and long on free time to build that one looking at the YouTube clip
I was thinking buy a cheap Chinese knock off and use your high dollar build time on things that don't already exist.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I get those emails also. I had the same thoughts. That's pretty much what most of the things I've seen in those emails are.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

it's not about the money or money cost of one's time.

it's that time is expensive.... you only have 1 life and you don't know how long it's going to be .... the older you get the more expensive time gets..... use time wisely..... no point in reinventing the wheel..... unless you are short on money and don't value your time.....

I bought a genuine CP air scribe a while ago when they seemed cheaper,. (and CNC was less common) but I see there are cheap chinese knock offs for about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cost of a genuine one now.... so buy the Chinese knock off.... and allow to buy 3 for the life cycle of a genuine one.

it's a really well made intricate and ingenious air scribe that guy made with a fair amount of time honing a bolt in a drill chuck with a set of hand files, so hats off to him plus his talent. (much more talented than I)... I just can't see it being a viable option unless you are really short on money and long on time.... maybe he needs to value his time better ...... appreciate that guys have hobbies and make stuff.... but then they don't really USE that stuff .... they generally use it intermittently and put it on the mantle piece, hang it on the wall or in the garage .... take it out from time to time, admire what they did, polish it and put it back.

buy a knock off pneumatic scribe.... or see if you can get away with a diamond scribe and make a holder for it.

TIME is very valuable

eg, I spent about 4 hours 1 evening a couple of days ago designing a break out board PCB for a Mesa card for linuxcnc.... put it in for production and it is on its way to me now..... in the old days I would have made the PCB or used matrix board and trough hole components and and hand soldered everything .... I admit gaining those skills has taken my lifetime .... and I've done similar many times before but unless it's really simple, and there are no versions available that could do the job at reasonable cost and accepted life cycle, I don't make stuff by hand.

https://easyeda.com/

I would probably still be soldering it in the evenings if I fabbed the PCB now.... sure I would have saved a bit of money but I've done other things waiting for it to arrive .... and I get spares I can sell reducing my cost or even covering it.

VALUE YOUR TIME! .... you can't make more of it.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

All very true however I expect that the person who built that tool and created that instructional enjoys doing that with his time. It's certainly no hack job so I see the passion there and I am sure he's loving every minute of it.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

As I said he is way more talented than I and it is a work of art, but I'm not sure that its that practical
acourtjester wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:17 pm ... passing it for those who would like to build their own.
hence my first post was:
robertspark wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:32 pm you got to be really short on money and long on free time to build that one looking at the YouTube clip
I'd be interested to know if anyone builds one :) ??
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Well I would agree, not at all practical, I too would sooner buy one but it was fun to watch and definitely impressive!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:17 pm I get emails from Instructables and this was one the one today, passing it for those who would like to build their own.
https://www.instructables.com/Pneumatic ... dium=email
Tom - I just came across your post. I would tend to mostly agree with the other replies. It might be a fun project for some, and he was using what I would really consider the "poor man's lathe" - hand drill in vise plus that hand grinder. The finished parts look nice, and I most definitely give him an A for effort.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

:Like :Like There are many videos of different things people have made that show it's the hand the tool is in rather than the tool at hand. :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:46 am :Like :Like There are many videos of different things people have made that show it's the hand the tool is in rather than the tool at hand. :Yay
Very much agree! Sometimes it's the driver, and not the car that actually wins the race.
:Like :Like :Like

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”