Proma SD, No Z Axis movement?!

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Proma SD, No Z Axis movement?!

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

Hey everyone finally getting around to adding a Proma SD THC unit that Iv had around just no time to install, got it all wired up following the manual but I can’t get any Z axis movement, when I move the Z axis up or down in mach3 I can see the numbers changing but zero movement.. Iv tryed to run a gcode that Iv cut good in the past and X and Y axis move but Z axis stays the same, on mach3 the numbers keep going down as it’s looking for a probe signal but zero movement..

When I fire the torch in mach3 I get a constant 94-95 volts on the Proma SD

C94 Break Out Board
Proma SD (Not 150)
Primeweld cut60
73E06AB6-C52C-4CB5-A805-B2E6D2A1E134.jpeg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Proma SD, No Z Axis movement?!

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

Sorry for my messy drawing but this is how I currently have it wired up following the diagrams given!
A468D801-F0B5-4D5E-BFAF-A71C442661C0.jpeg

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Ok the number moving in Mach will happen with no movement as there is no feed back. Mach thinks it move but it don't.
Now I am not sure about your controller it may be that the pins 6 and 7 are not for the Z axis. To test it bypass the Proma, or did it work before you installed the Proma with those pins?? I looked at the wite for the UCCNC UC-300 and it seems there are many downloads for that board. There may be one for using a THC and some without a THC you may need to check their site to see. Your diagram look correct.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

acourtjester wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:16 pm Ok the number moving in Mach will happen with no movement as there is no feed back. Mach thinks it move but it don't.
Now I am not sure about your controller it may be that the pins 6 and 7 are not for the Z axis. To test it bypass the Proma, or did it work before you installed the Proma with those pins?? I looked at the wite for the UCCNC UC-300 and it seems there are many downloads for that board. There may be one for using a THC and some without a THC you may need to check their site to see. Your diagram look correct.
Awesome appreciate the reply, Iv had this table running for over 8 months without a THC but finally have some time to fiddle with it, so 6-7 we’re working for Z axis with mach3 before wiring in the Proma SD….

Im currently using a C94 Board with UC300 from CNC4PC, not sure which download I have but it was for a THC unit so maybe I should try one without since the Proma SD is a stand-alone and doesn’t really need mach3?!

Here is the board I’m using to give you a better idea!

https://www.cnc4pc.com/c94-multifunction-board-b.html
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok if it worked without the Proma your wiring should be fine. Adding the THC may only require to use a different Post Processor for the info to be in the G-code for it's enable commands and timing. Since the problem happens when the Proma is installed it seems that is the place that needs to be checked for the reason. I have used the other model of the Proma ( I think it is called the 150), there was a test mode that would light the Arc Ok, up and Down leds on the unit and also move the Z axis when the led were lit. I think you had to extend a setting to give the motors time to move, it may have been the tolerance value. This is the first step in trouble shooting to see if the signals show and will also trigger the motors to move. Next would be the keys on the keyboard to move the Z axis, as these are a manual way to follow the signal path.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

acourtjester wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:07 am Ok if it worked without the Proma your wiring should be fine. Adding the THC may only require to use a different Post Processor for the info to be in the G-code for it's enable commands and timing. Since the problem happens when the Proma is installed it seems that is the place that needs to be checked for the reason. I have used the other model of the Proma ( I think it is called the 150), there was a test mode that would light the Arc Ok, up and Down leds on the unit and also move the Z axis when the led were lit. I think you had to extend a setting to give the motors time to move, it may have been the tolerance value. This is the first step in trouble shooting to see if the signals show and will also trigger the motors to move. Next would be the keys on the keyboard to move the Z axis, as these are a manual way to follow the signal path.
I see I see that makes sense for when I’m running a gcode, but shouldn’t the Z axis moves up and down when the Proma SD is in test mode?!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Yes that is what I was saying in my post, It does need to have a value set to a longer amount for the motor to move (cannot remember which one).
But in test mode it should move up and down when the LEDs for that signal is lit. Now with the other model you could look on Mach 3 diagnostic page and see the 3 signals light indicator when the proma LEDs are lit. This is a benefit of the signal going through the controller (BOB board) and then on to the driver. The SD model does it the opposite as the controller signal goes to the SD then to the driver. A failure in the Proma SD will stop the Z axis drive signals getting to the driver, then no Z action.
proma 33.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

acourtjester wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:06 pm Yes that is what I was saying in my post, It does need to have a value set to a longer amount for the motor to move (cannot remember which one).
But in test mode it should move up and down when the LEDs for that signal is lit. Now with the other model you could look on Mach 3 diagnostic page and see the 3 signals light indicator when the proma LEDs are lit. This is a benefit of the signal going through the controller (BOB board) and then on to the driver. The SD model does it the opposite as the controller signal goes to the SD then to the driver. A failure in the Proma SD will stop the Z axis drive signals getting to the driver, then no Z action.
proma 33.JPG
Okay cool! So I do get the signal lights on the proma SD when in test mode to tell the z axis to move up and down but still no movement of the actually Zaxis motor.. if you think of the setting to existence please let me know I’m gonna play around with it this evening and will update you if I get it going! Appreciate the reply’s!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I think it is the HYS set to 15, but this is for the 150 model not sure if the SD has this or will work the same. :Sad
proma 44.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

acourtjester wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:17 pm I think it is the HYS set to 15, but this is for the 150 model not sure if the SD has this or will work the same. :Sad
proma 44.JPG
Awesome ill give that a try and get back to you! crazy there isnt much info out there on the SD, did they just release a product that never worked?! or was it designed for a different application?!
DIYPlasmatable
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DIYPlasmatable »

acourtjester wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:17 pm I think it is the HYS set to 15, but this is for the 150 model not sure if the SD has this or will work the same. :Sad
proma 44.JPG
So after playing around with my multimeter I have 23volts going into the THC to power it up (manual says 7-35v)

But I’m getting zero volts from the output for step or dir on the Proma SD when it’s in test mode, shouldn’t it be sending signals from the output from step?! May have a dud thc unit
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Yes the DIR signal should be a +5 or 0 volts that switches for the motor to turn one direction or the other. You may need a scope to see the step signals.
I would say it is broke. :Mad :Sad
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
asuratman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by asuratman »

why don't try to use mach3 usb bob or db25 bob (cheap) for checking. I tst-ed thc150 on mach3 db25 bob easily. no parameter need to be changed out. I replaced bob twice due to interference, one got damage on relay, another one got damage on pin 12, 14, 15 when tst no movement. I use cheap bob for plasma. I think 150 and sd is not difficult to wire, almost the same ...
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

https://proma-elektronika.com/download/PDF/thcsd_en.pdf

there is a test function at the back of the manual (PDF page 7)

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”