Going from the Proma thc to a Price Avhc10 thc

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
brucer
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Going from the Proma thc to a Price Avhc10 thc

Post by brucer »

I'm currently running a Proma thc. Its the first model they came out with, the Proma 150 I think.. I bought it years ago when they were fairly new to market and got it at a good price back then. I think I may have been one of the first few to actually install and run it, I think I bought in 2013.

I'm doing some updates on my old table, just giving it a refresh I guess, It's been together for like 6 years, I used it for several years then it sat for a while after I bought a house and moved and I've finally got time to get into it again..

I ordered the Price AVHC10 thc as I'm wanting to have the memory presets and the ability to mount the thc control module on the controller itself away from the table and plasma cutter, I'm also running the Proma with raw arc voltage and I want to get that high voltage back inside the machine and use the low voltage output instead, plus I've heard the Price unit is a pretty good value option and quite a bit better than the Proma. The Proma actually worked great for the price but I'm just wanting to do something a bit better without spending $800-$2000 on a thc..

My planned upgrades are the Price avhc10, Thermal Dynamics interface kit for my CM52 which I'm buying from Brand X here on the forum and will eventually get the sl100-sv machine torch, pretty much turning my CM52 into an A60..I'm still using the hand torch on the machine and sick of it being in the way and having to unclamp it to change consumables..

The Price thc connects pretty much the same as the Proma unit except the Price has the isolation unit and I'm also thinking the antidive feature is handled a bit better..

I've been using the mp1000-thc post since I built the machine (I have a floating head w/proximity switch). Will I be using the same post processor in Sheetcam? I'm assuming it will be the same.

How is the antidive feature handled within Mach3? Is it the same settings of thc_min and thc_max? I read somewhere that the Price unit handles the antidive like its actually suppose to in Mach3 and the Proma is kind of faking it through the thc_min setting in relation to the pierce height

Thanks brucer.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Going from the Proma thc to a Price Avhc10 thc

Post by acourtjester »

Hi Brucer
I have a Price unit and it works great, I have not used the anti-dive but it is very easy to hook up. I have mine using the BOB board shown on page 13 example 3 the signal attached to pin 6 and common,which is a output pin, and shows that in the instructions. I am using the 50:1 output from my Hypertherm, and I have the Isolation Module on my Hypertherm. I have the controller next to my keyboard at my CNC controller.
Here is a video on the install https://youtu.be/EyZJVMtzKzY
I use a post processor that I modified to use a probe input from an ohmic sensor which I have attached here in a zip file. You will need to make a small change for it to work with you floating head switch (G28 in place of the G31) and any offset you have. have fun
Plasma PriceCNC AVHC10 THC zFloat With Pierce Delay- G31 Tom's edit.zip
edit.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
East German
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by East German »

Hello

The Price THC is very Good, the Anti Dive Function is very easy to connect!
The manual is very helpful.

Good luck it is a good choice!

Peter
My Table:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4exgI-WzILo
Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable
MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

I am looking for another THC myself because I cannot use Ohmic with my LCTHC. I’ll definitely look at this one as an option. Keep us updated on its performance. Mine from day one has had an issue with the THC not working right on long cuts. It allows the torch to continue to raise even though the arc voltage and THC says it should be sending the torch down.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

All the THC can do is send the down signal to the correct pin in MACH (THC DOWN) and its up to MACH to actually make the Z move. If its ignoring the command then it has to be a setting in MACH (like the Min and Max ) . If it works at the beginning then is not that MACH is totally ignoring the input (like it will if its not a licensed copy of MACH3) The DOWN LED on the screen is lookign at the THC DOWN input. If its on the Z shoudl move down unless a setting in MACH is preventing it.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Thank you Tom, if I can get that setting figured out it will work like a champ.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”