ESS smoothstepper and THC

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Metalmedic
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

ESS smoothstepper and THC

Post by Metalmedic »

Anybody building a new DIY table, I’ve been using the ESS smoothstepper and wanted to find a decent THC. I was ready to buy a neuron thc and came across the TMC3in1 on warp9 I still have a few tweaks I need to make on anti dive settings to fit my machine to work out, but wow this thing works really good so far. I haven’t tried corrugated steel but I have set a short piece of .08 aluminum on a 3” incline and it had no problem with it. Just wanted to throw it out there anybody looking for a THC that has an ESS that’s super reasonable in price.
asuratman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: ESS smoothstepper and THC

Post by asuratman »

Do you think we can use this TMC3in1 THC with UCCNC ?
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

no it uses the expansion port of the ess which in part uses i2c / spi (I forget which) which is not available to UC motion controllers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... fHU22FFZzU
Minitucking
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Minitucking »

I am currently using a pmdx126 and ESS. Will the tmc3n1 install on top of the ess and work together with the pmdx?
Metalmedic
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Metalmedic »

The thc 3in1 plugs into the top of the ESS and runs through the expansion ports and port 3 leaving port 1/2 open for your I/O
Bob4909
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Bob4909 »

Metalmedic,

I have a TMC 3in1 THC in my build, thought I had things figured out and working running programs on sheet metal up to 11 gage. Recently needed to cut some parts from 3/8" plate and have been fighting with it since. And maybe I shouldn't be using it on thick plate, not sure there. But figured if it worked for thin, it would work for thick too.

It's set up following the info from Warp9, SheetCam post is from them as well, running the latest plugins in Mach4 all per the recommendations from Andy. I've fought and concurred several problems, latest is the torch raises before the THC should be active right after piercing. Raised it so fast it faulted my drive leaving the torch too far from the plate to actually cut it. But I had been cutting parts in that same plate days prior only the THC wasn't driving the cut height for those. Asked Andy about that and got advice to turn the HC button off, then on and that seemed to get it active, then that lifting I mentioned happened on the very next cut.

So a question for you, did you have to modify the values the post inserts for different thickness of metal? Those values that are set in the post settings panel. Or the linear response voltages in the tool panels. Things like that, right now mine are all the same across the board. I've also had to severely slow the acceleration on the Z motor to keep it from faulting due to the THC. That didn't help on that last problem. think I'm down to 10 or 12 there now. Rapid is set at 300 for Z and that doesn't seem to be a problem, just the accel gives it fits. The THC just seems to hammer it.

Grateful for any inside you could provide.
Regards
Bob
Jgorm
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Jgorm »

I just got that setup and should be wiring it up soon.
inverterweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by inverterweld »

Does anyone have any new info on the WARP ECC and 3 in 1 ? looking to buy a system to replace my old parrelle port set up from 12 years ago that was running the C AND C MP1000THC
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

inverterweld wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:37 pm Does anyone have any new info on the WARP ECC and 3 in 1 ? looking to buy a system to replace my old parrelle port set up from 12 years ago that was running the C AND C MP1000THC
https://warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-m ... ghtControl

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”