Interference in motor wires?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Interference in motor wires?

Post by AZ_guy »

I bought a plasma table a while back and have been slowly getting it to the level I want. I upgraded the plasma cutter to a hypertherm 45xp and that was a drastic improvement in every aspect. The previous owner just used cheap trailer wiring to wire the motors and ive noticed sometimes if the torch is starting a cut near one of the wires that the motor will make a weird sound then the rest of the cut is slightly off in some direction.

Is it possible that the high frequency start of the plasma cutter is making the motor jump or something? ill hear the motor make a noise like it is hitting the limit of travel on the table but just for a split second.

Right now the wires are basically just hanging around on the piece im cutting since he was just hanging everything from a center point but im 3D printing some cable chain so ill get that cleaned up soon but thinking some shielded 4 wire might be worth upgrading to.

Thanks guys
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Interference in motor wires?

Post by WyoGreen »

You're probably getting induced noise from the plasma arc, Hypertherm doesn't use high frequency start. You do need to keep the plasma cable separate from all the other wires because of the noise issue but you shouldn't need shielded wires to the motors. Don't put your plasma cable in the cable chain when you get to that point, rather hang it from a boom or some such thing.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I do both shielded motor cables and separated Plasma cable for other wiring.
here is the wire I use
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-FEET-18-4-A ... 1438.l2649
here you can see the cable boom for the plasma cable.
2 tables 4x4 and new 4x8.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

i got some shielded wire and some cable chain to keep everything up and out of the way so hopefully that will solve my issue.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”