5x10 build.

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: 5x10 build.

Post by AREA »

Been following this build. Looking awesome and your getting closer!
jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

Welded up got the duct work coming in still but at least I'm cutting.
IMG_20210509_112406_356.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

Here's a little bit of a lagging video of my table more to come.

jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

IMG_20210530_132739_233.jpg
Slats installed... finally. Almost made it flush with the cold rolled. Very close.

Got all those slats for 58$. And I have a whole other set as well I scored at the seconds yard.

Working on this downdraft gas pissed me off LOL. For quick running water table for sure. If a 12 inch flex pipe is bought to go over a 12 in fitting....you would think it would work ...it won't. Just stupid setbacks.

Have an AWESOME memorial day weekend boys and girls.

jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

IMG_20210529_131234_532~2.jpg
Also holes cuts for downdraft, build a drop box so sparks won't fly into the pipe. Cut a hole in the garage wall (kinda hurt).

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Man o man that's looking good. I enjoy seeing these custom builds :Like
jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

Another update. Hope you all like it.

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Always nice to finish a build and start making money from it, looks liek that will be functional for years :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Looking good! Have been following this, well done!
jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

Other things that are left to do to it.

Install fork pockets.

Install rotary (once software gets better I'll get it)

Basically don't care about the oxy/propane system till I get a large plate order. Literally the company is like whenever we get it I promise we will call you. Whatever I guess.

Adding some flat sections to the left and right side of the table beside the slats/bed area. It has a nice 3-4 inches on each side that are just open that can't be really eliminated due to the z axis has to have support on both side of the torch to ride on the v ways. That's a low light.

Add the leg feet.

Fix a roof leak 🤣.

Get better shop lighting.

Now I'm rambling.

Any and all questions comments hit me up!
jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

Alright cut a 5x10 sheet of 3/8 and the dust was......frustrating ...my goal here is complete elimination. Yes, I understand that the only way to truly do that is to put this thing into a chamber and it would elminate 99%. Well, my thought now is to put a water bed in and have downdraft at the same time. Has anyone every dont that by any chance?

Like a water draft is what my made up name of it would be. I added a sheet 4x10 dxf of skip cuts basically on the attachment so I could bend up the pieces I have here on hand and get it to going. I have enough scraps laying around that I should be able to only use one sheet.

I guess I will sell this one eventually and make another with a water blatter system it will be the only thing that is left for me to try before I put it into a chamber haha.

Also I will add...everything on this table has been made out of scrap metal from jobs that are paid for and done. Hence the reason this doesnt really "hurt" that bad.

jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

PXL_20210707_153519993.jpg

Annndddd waterbed.

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I have always preferred downdraft over water tables and a decent setup with the open areas of your cutting deck covered to "seal air leaks" when in use should eliminate pretty much all your smoke. Downdrafts kinda suck (no pun intended) in the winter though if you are in a cold climate as it will pull the heat out of the shop. Maybe your water draft setup will be the best of both worlds.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Its not really surprising your downdraft is not working for you.
This article recommends 3200-3600 CFM for a 4x4 table.
https://www.hypertherm.com/learn/spark- ... e-control/

The secret to downdrafts is to zone the table so the suction is contained to one zone at a time.

This one is 6 x 12 with 8 zones operated by air rams.
downdraft.jpg
Its controlled by Linuxcnc using a Mesa 7i76e whichi has 32 inputs and 16 outputs so there is plenty of IO to control the zones.
A custom component I wrote tracks the torch position and triggers the correct zone as the torch crosses into it.
There is a delay programmed so that as the torch leaves one zone, that zone stays open with the new zone for a short period.

The physical ducting design is probably not ideal but it was already built before the downdraft control software was written. But it works pretty well by all accounts.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Rodw wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:38 am Its not really surprising your downdraft is not working for you.

The secret to downdrafts is to zone the table so the suction is contained to one zone at a time.

downdraft.jpg
Its controlled by Linuxcnc using a Mesa 7i76e whichi has 32 inputs and 16 outputs so there is plenty of IO to control the zones.
A custom component I wrote tracks the torch position and triggers the correct zone as the torch crosses into it.
There is a delay programmed so that as the torch leaves one zone, that zone stays open with the new zone for a short period.

The physical ducting design is probably not ideal but it was already built before the downdraft control software was written. But it works pretty well by all accounts.
That's a really nice setup! I am impressed.
David
jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

Rodw wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:38 am Its not really surprising your downdraft is not working for you.

downdraft.jpg

I actually read your build process whenever I was making mine. Your right I don't have zones and I don't have enough CFM. Either way the downdraft with the waterbed is actually working out. I was VERY happy with it the other day.

Something else I noticed cutting that 3/8 was how hot EVERYTHING was. Yes I'm aware plasma is hot. But I was surprised how long it took to cool compared to my previous waterbed.

Either way I guess I'll just sell this one and make a water bladder eventually hahaha.
Candyman196
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Candyman196 »

OK I can build the table but from there up Im lost. Can you give a list of parts to complete please. Gantry motors controller etc.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Look a CandCNC as they sell complete packages, computer, controller, motor setup, THC and software. Main thing is matching the table size and the motor/drivers
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom gives some great advise here! I very much agree on the importance of matching your motors/drivers to the physical size and weight of the moving parts on your table.
David
jones8907
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jones8907 »

Yeah the true NM of holding force is where you want to look at for the motors. A lot ot them are moons motors with just some tweaks honestly. If people want to build one with a lighter gantry with a 3:1 ish ratio a 570oz or 620oz motor will do well normally.

Its not the complicated to assemble a wiring harness system/package with the precision plasma gantry/z you will be just fine. Like its not easy but its not hard at all. Its like water...just gotta make sure the flow is correct.

I would not go with CandCNC as a first time builder....do it if you are super slick on wiring and such....but if not go with a myplasma card and thc controller with a PM cutter and you are going to be good to go. **it has its limitations** If you want a real true setup obviously go with FlashCut...lets be real...that system is awesome.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”