My Masterpiece (3 x 1,5 Meter)

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: My Masterpiece (3 x 1,5 Meter)

Post by weldguy »

Retro wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:54 pm Did i wrote seconds? I meant min of course! That would be crazy fast.
Lol, yes that's what I thought and would explain why you were loosing steps
SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SRdesign »

Retro wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:18 am Because of the speed tables from Hypertherm.

I got two newer problems:
1st: The Z-Axis is moving by itself. Its on, of course, but theres no moving signal (at least there shouldn't). But this axis is moving downwards so i crash into the metal.
2nd: The Linearbearing from THK is broken. Completly ripped apart. I think the gap between two rails is too wide. Tomorrow i try to replace both bearings. How can i line up both rails perfectly? I tried it to clamp a rail over the gap and then screw it down but it didnt seem to work.

That thing costs me my last nerves. At least i passed; i'm a masters metal constructor! But only 60 Points from 100 - two weeks work and many more in CAD for only 60 points...
When you say “lining up both rails perfectly” which two rails are you speaking of?
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

The Linearrails are segmented, the lineup of both. But it Looks Like, i figured it out.

But what to do With the selfmoving Z-Axis? I was trying to cut some brackets, but no Chance.
Pic is added. The Axis moves Up or down, whichever way it wants, rubs on the metal and the steppers loosing steps. So it seems. If the Axis is too high or Low, the Controller looses Connection.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

And i noticed another "Problem": When i only Turn on the power of the Machine without the controlling Laptop it gets loud, the steppers want to move... Any idea wheres that comming from?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Retro wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:22 am But what to do With the selfmoving Z-Axis? I was trying to cut some brackets, but no Chance.
Pic is added. The Axis moves Up or down, whichever way it wants, rubs on the metal and the steppers loosing steps. So it seems. If the Axis is too high or Low, the Controller looses Connection.
Does z axis only move on its just sitting idle or only when your running a program and the XY axis is in motion? Do you have a THC on it?
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

THC is deactivated, cause that god dann thing wont even work a bit. The Z Axis is turning all the time. Not fast, but noticible. Sometimes up... sometimes down ... As i turn on the Power of the machine it moves.

It already worked, then i transported it to the audit committee. After that there was the problem.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I would try plugging the Z axis motor in the X axis motor driver and if the problem remains on the Z axis I suspect the issue is in you're Z axis wiring. If the problem moves to the X axis I suspect the problem is with that motor driver. It is possible that the Z axis wiring could have been damaged when you transported the machine.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Could a broken cable be the issue? I cant plug the wiring to the other driver. They got different plugs and wiring.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Yes, a broken cable or wire strand touching something it shouldn't etc. Have a good look over it and let us know if you find anything.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

What could be the issue with the THC when the Support of Polabs got no ideas left? I get the E-1 Code, connection problems. Could the device be broken?
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Yeah, i saw that already. Didn't helped me. Tomorrow I'll try disconnect every wire and put 230 v on without the plasma wired to it. Maybe it works without that, but I don't think so. I'll buy another THC, that thing has to work. It has to pay for it self after all.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

what controller are you using + what motion control software?

the minithc is simple
I dont like the proma (personal hate)
there is also the Price AVHC (seems sold out)
less well known is the razordance
and quite a few others too.

helps if we know what controller and motion control software you are using
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I'm using the Planet CNC Software plus the PlanetCNC Mk3/4 Board.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I got news. The problem is the Z Axis Driver that causes the E-1. I wired the THC without the driver, now theres no Problem - i hope so.

Today i made it: Found a leak in the water pan, wanted to tack it up, then there was a fountain. Tomorrow that thing will be welded up.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Right on, curious to hear how you progress. So much to learn when trying to pull off what your doing. Good job.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Could a driver really cause such problems with interferences? Or is it just random?
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Alright, i found the Problem With the moving Z Axis: It seems to be the Driver. I plugged the Stepper to the X-Axis Driver and it works. But the Motor catched smoke. Too much amperage for 5 Seconds. I'll buy a new Driver and hopefully everything works now and the Stepper isnt broken.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Retro wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:28 am Alright, i found the Problem With the moving Z Axis: It seems to be the Driver. I plugged the Stepper to the X-Axis Driver and it works. But the Motor catched smoke. Too much amperage for 5 Seconds. I'll buy a new Driver and hopefully everything works now and the Stepper isnt broken.
Be sure to adjust the current settings on your drivers to match your motors.
David
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I always do that before wiring, but this time i didn't think about it. I hope it's not broken. I'll order a new one and get a extra power supply for the THC and then I'll see.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I think you should be using the Stamos S-PLASMA 125CNC as it won't be high frequency start.
S-PLASMA 125CNC
https://magnum-pro.pl/welding/plasma-cu ... 25cnc.html

HF start machines use up to 25k volts and the resulting electrical noise is very difficult to manage.

Be sure to implement every recommendation in the Hypertherm grounding document
https://www.hypertherm.com/Download?fil ... &zip=False
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

I already use the 125 CNC Stamos. I got the E-1 Problems without even turning the plasmacutter on.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

what voltage are you using for field power for inputs and outputs?
Less than 24 V will be problematic as its easy for noise to corrupt a signal
Follow the Hypertherm grounding bible I linked to; to the letter. no shortcuts.
Also if you have not fitted one, be sure there is a filter on the mains power input.
Retro
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Retro »

Wdm filter?

Ok: I wired the power supply directly with a shielded cable to the THC and it seems to be good. BUT in the test mode there is always the OK signal active. How can i get this problem solved? Polabs says i got the config of PlanetCNC wrong - but why is the green OK Lamp on the controller active?

The driver still has to be bought and the lost steps are not found yet.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

RFI or EMI filter.

Don't know your hardware but normally you would take field power and attach it to one Plasma ArcOK input and the other Plasma ArcOK input would attach to the input on your THC

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”