Stepper squealing hell.

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
salem74792
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Stepper squealing hell.

Post by salem74792 »

Hi guys,
16363116169408609933595632070172.jpg
I am trying to tune my steppers:
Nema23 425oz
Kl5042 drivers
7i96 controller
Linuxcnc on Debian
2 x 36v 9.7a power supplies
Z: 2.84a peak 2 microsteps
X: 2.84a peak 4 microsteps
Y: 2.84a peak 4 microsteps

I get a high pitched squeal/beep from my z motor, and my x motor makes the driver have green solid led and red flashing. My y seems to work.

I also get stuttering with the z axis motor.

I am using the power cord ground to the power supplies

I used 4 conductor 18ga shielded cable but I didn't do anything with the bare wire inside, I just cut it off at each end and used the conductors.

I assume this is an interference issue, should I do something different grounding wise? Should I ground the power supply end of that bare wire in the cable?

Can I test a NEMA23 motor? Like resistance readings or something?

One other problem I have is I have my y setup with 2 motors my y1 driver is the main axis in pncconf and y2 is set as tandem y but when I test/tune y, only the main driver/motor moves. Am I missing something in setting a tandem motor axis?

I tried to add a Video with the sound but I'm clearly too dumb to add a Video!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Stepper squealing hell.

Post by acourtjester »

I think you have a wiring problem and maybe also a motor tune problem. You should not see a flashing red on anything, that is a fault indicator. The stuttering on the Z is most likely it dies not have the DRI signal, that tells the motor which direct to turn. It should be either 0 volts or +5 volts.
You should be able to have the motor turn if wired correctly and maybe need the ground later if you find it is to noisy.
You may need to save the video in a ZIP file and attach that as an added file to send with your post here.
I have attached info about the setting I used on many table that will get you in the ballpark for motor tuning. Fine turning will be needed later but this should work for a start. Nex remove the connection to the gearing on the motor so they can turn free while testing. When you apply power to the motors with nothing else they should not turn freely (locked up is the normal term for this).
Try separating the Y motor in your Pncconf setting first until your sure they are wired correctly, then work on getting the be in tandem correctly. Remember they will rotate opposite, The is a small box on the page where you set the motors in the Pncconf in the left side that one will need the reverse direct checked.

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is where you reverse one motor and where you enter the steps per for each motor.
y driver setting.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

I'm also building a Linux box using a 7i96. Is there a supposed to be a configuration page as above for the Y2 axis or does Linux automatically configure Y2 using data from the Y? When I configure Y and go forward, the next page is for the Z axis. No configuration page for Y2. Thanks in advance.
salem74792
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by salem74792 »

Blackslacks wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:38 pm I'm also building a Linux box using a 7i96. Is there a supposed to be a configuration page as above for the Y2 axis or does Linux automatically configure Y2 using data from the Y? When I configure Y and go forward, the next page is for the Z axis. No configuration page for Y2. Thanks in advance.
I think it is just supposed to clone the y1. But what I have been able to find is that it will not run the tandem until you home the system so I think when you jog it in the config it only runs the primary one.

My problem is I am stuck with these other issues in the config so I have been able to try that.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I am not sure as I only use 3 axis drivers, but I think if you look at the attached image of the selection page you can see where you may need to add the second axis driver. Try clicking on the inv boz and see if the now enables the second driver in the pages following.
axis selection.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Post your questions, Help can be had, there are a few member that use LinuxCNC. I am very close to finishing up my conversion and will help if its something I have seen. I'm not an expert but have done battle with it, things are done differently but it will work.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

Thanks cj but I do have 4 drivers configured on the above page. I found this online. It seems to be pretty though regarding wiring and configuration. He doesn't seem to have a page for Y2 either. https://forum.v1engineering.com/t/lowri ... uild/13939. Maybe someone can use this.
salem - that bare wire is a drain and is connected to earth if you are experiencing emi issues. One end only. EMI can cause lost steps and other strange behavior. Maybe try switching your motors around and see if the problem moves with them. If it doesn't you got a wiring or driver problem. Ive had stuttering motors before and it's always been wiring.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

You really should be asking questions on the linuxcnc forum. Different people there have different expertise so you will get better support.
Linuxcnc seperates joints (motors) from axes.
Where multiple motors/joints are on the same axis, they are joined with negative values for HOME_SEQUENCE in the ini file. Until Linuxcnc is homed, these axes with multiple motors do not exist. They must all have homing switches.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”