Buildbotics Controller

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Buildbotics Controller

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

Has anyone else here worked with the open-source controller? It is the one I went with for my retrofit of an old plasma table. So far, I am really liking it but this is also my first experience with plasma tables, controllers, etc... Just trying to spark some conversation about it if there are any other users out there.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Buildbotics Controller

Post by acourtjester »

I looked at their web site and did not see any sign of a THC. I have found with some controller that they are setup for other than plasma, since CNC covers a large field this is something to watch for. You should contact them to see since they have their own software, plasma may not be in there too.
And 10' motor cable may be short for some plasma tables too.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Have not seen that one before. Looks really nice but it does look like it is geared more towards mills as AC eluded too. If your happy with it that's awesome and I am sure you could get an aftermarket THC in the future if you wanted.
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

I have it moving to torch and plan on testing the firing today. I did have to extend the cable since this old Vicon table is 6'x24' but so far so good. Also as for THC, no there is not an option for it currently, but this table originally didn't have one. I continue to look into possible options for it. I need to fine-tune the distance per rev but I am getting there.

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

forward progress is always a good thing, keep plugging along. There are stand alone THC unit the switch the Z axis control from the normal controller to the stand alone. While cutting the Z axis is controlled by the stand alone THC not the G-code. Some have used the Proma SD model but I cannot say how well it does or not at all. You can cut without a THC but with warped metal it can cause headaches.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
SmokyMtnRed
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SmokyMtnRed »

Thanks for the info on the standalone for THC. I will look into it.
mwind
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mwind »

I am looking into doing a from scratch build using this controller for a 4x4 table. Is a relay needed for setting up the plasma? How is the setup install process? Any interference? I have built a cnc router table but this would be my first plasma build.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There is not a real large difference between Router and Plasma configurations. The tables I have built use both, home and limits are the same. Except Routers home up and plasma home down, they both can use Ohmic sensors. You will need a few more wires for Plasma like floating head switch, I also wire in a laser indicator for both. The G-code/post processor handle the homing and operational differences. Plasma moves the axis faster than routing. Another thing is spoilboard verse Water table/downdraft setups. I swap them out for the different operations. And you will need BOB inputs/outputs for THC and communication to the Plasma unit. The relay for torch fire can be wired into a router on relay if you have one now. On mine I use a manual switch for Laser and router/vac system on/off. I sent you a PM on this site.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”