What advice, tips, pros/cons for making a good CNC plasma table?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

What advice, tips, pros/cons for making a good CNC plasma table?

Post by mikeysp »

Hi. I tried to find a thread like this and perhaps I just did not know what search words to use. So, if there is a thread, please pass the link or search terms I should use.

When building a CNC plasma table, what would you recommend for details, components, software, examples? What is it that makes a great table? What are the pros/cons of different choices?

I have a Hypertherm 85; and, I have long desired a table. I am glad to make one and save some pennies. I would be using it for light industrial use.

Whatever components I use, I want a great design that is short on bugs and long on performance.

Where can I skimp on cost, and where do I need to pay once, cry once?

Thank you for your advice.

-Mike
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: What advice, tips, pros/cons for making a good CNC plasma table?

Post by adbuch »

Mike - I think that the DIY section of the forum would be a good place to start. There are plenty of threads there documenting diy builds and discussing various designs for construction, motion control, etc.

viewforum.php?f=103

You will find that opinions vary as to which control system to use. Some like the Linux cnc, some go with Mach3/4, Candcnc, etc. Since I am using Plasmacam tables, I use the Design Edge software that comes with the tables. In the past I constructed a small cnc plasma/router/engraving table, and used Arduino/GRBL for control using stepper motors. Opinions will also vary regarding steppers vs. servos. My Plasmacam tables use servos with encoders, but there are plenty using steppers and running open-loop that work fine as well.

Once you have your table built and running, you will of course need to consider what particular software you intend to use for your cad/cam. Many here use the Inkscape/Sheetcam combination, while others may use Fusion 360 for cad/cam/post processing. CorelDraw and LightBurn are also popular for the cad portion of the process.

Do you have a budget in mind for your build? And what size table do you plans - 4x4, 4x8, 5x10 ?

David
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

David, thank you for the link.

I plan to make a 5x10 as I can handle smaller projects and prototyping, as well as volume parts when I go into production.

My budget is certainly good for $10K if I needed it to be, but I am hoping to do it for half that, or less, just not at the expense of a machine that is troublesome to keep operating and performing well. I also have some components on hand such as steel, computers, plasma cutter, etc...

I recently downloaded Fusion for product design and am taking some youtube classes for learning the software.

-Mike
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester ref.jpg
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12881
acourtjester ref 1.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

mikeysp wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:28 pm

I recently downloaded Fusion for product design and am taking some youtube classes for learning the software.

-Mike
Mike - Langmuir has some Fusion 360 tutorials specific to cnc plasma cutting which I would highly recommend.
https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion

You will eventually need to install a Fusion 360 plasma post processor compatible with which ever controller you end up with, assuming you are planning to use Fusion 360 for your cam as well as cad.

I also highly recommend the Fusion 360 tutorial lessons by Arnold Rowntree. These are the best ones I have seen and I actually worked thru his complete set of lessons several times a few years ago.

And if you don't already have it, here is where to sign up for your Free Fusion 360 license for personal/hobby use.
David

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal
Fusion 360 for hobby use.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Mike - here is a diy cnc plasma table build by fellow member Dishtech55 which I feel warrants some serious consideration. This is his 3rd table build, and I think he got this one nailed!
David
viewtopic.php?t=32000
Dishtech55 cnc plasma table diy.jpg
He has shared the parts list for his build. I have attached it as pdf.
DIY cnc plasma table build by Dishtech55 - parts list.pdf

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Hi Mike
Ah yes building your own CNC table/system, let the fun begin. As David points out there are many options and sources to make a build easier. As a DIY guy (on Steroids) I built my table from scratch and have used different electronics (to add fun and experiences) on the 9 tables I built. I developed the mechanical portion by looking around to see what I liked and with small changes for improvements in assemblies as I progressed. I am not an expert I just enjoy doing it, there are great examples from other members here too. Do the research to find what or how you want to do it, have the components when you ready and go for it. And post your progress for others to watch and get inspired.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Thanks for all the responses. It has been a few years since I was in earnest to research for a build. At the time I was trying to build on a super tight budget. Whereas now, I want to save money where I can, but I want a very good machine, and will pay for premium components where it is needed; yet, use very budget friendly and simple solutions where the results won't be compromised.

Lot of research and I look forward to seeing some of the builds, and where the technology has gone in the last few years since I was researching.

-Mike

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”