Are JD2 and shop sabre type gantry overkill for plasma?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Are JD2 and shop sabre type gantry overkill for plasma?

Post by adbuch »

mikeysp wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:41 pm Reference Cut speeds: If the samson can cut at 1000 ipm (for example) but the max speed my hypertherm 85 would use according to the cut chart is less than half that, what are we to make of this ability?

Mike - you would never be cutting at 1000 ipm, but perhaps making rapid moves at that speed or close, depending on the capability of your table. I use the Hypertherm Powermax 85 on my cutting table and pretty much stick with the cut charts. The one exception is for 14 ga, where I cut at 190 ipm as opposed to the higher book setting of 220 IPM (if my memory serves me on that book speed). I am cutting 14 ga. steel using the FineCuts and the cuts are essentially dross free.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for posting the video Segoman, It shows a true representation of the construction of a DIY table and the process we go through. :Yay After building 9 table myself from scratch, but understand it is fun and well worth the time. :Yay Great to see girls getting in on the fun too, my last table went to a lady for router service, for her side business. :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

to answer a few questions:

CAD Software I am using I am learning Fusion 360 for CAD. I don't know programing to make freecad appealing. While I can get Solidworks for next to nothing with my military retiree status, it is too much $$$ for me once I am ready to make money with it. Fusion is only about $500 a year when I am ready to go commercial with it.

I am not ready to draw yet.

85 Amps is indeed 85 Amps, however, that is max power, so I assumed when the setting is on a lower voltage, the amps are less than 85. However, my question was answered.

I am much obliged to everyone for chiming in.

Mind me asking what has happened over the last few years? It seemed that there was more activity on the forum before. Did people migrate to other media, or has there been a waning in DIY tables, or a saturation of build threads?

-Mike
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It depends on the reason for the visits, some are looking for answers for questions and can find them in the search function in the upper right. Some to show different projects they have done, other to share files for projects. Some to help others with problems/solutions. There still seems to be many visits by new starters/members. DIY builders can find info here and Youtube doing research so they may not post as much as before, some are just asking questions when they get the answer, stop posting. Most of the builder post after the build is finished to inspire others not as a sequence of events.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:23 pm It depends on the reason for the visits, some are looking for answers for questions and can find them in the search function in the upper right. Some to show different projects they have done, other to share files for projects. Some to help others with problems/solutions. There still seems to be many visits by new starters/members. DIY builders can find info here and Youtube doing research so they may not post as much as before, some are just asking questions when they get the answer, stop posting. Most of the builder post after the build is finished to inspire others not as a sequence of events.
Tom - very well said.
David
:Like :Like :Like
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Mike,

Here is another plasma table build by one of our down-unda members, I think there is 6 parts to it just follow the prompt when your done with the segment for the next video.

A 16 part tutorial on Fusion 360

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:11 pm Mike,

Here is another plasma table build by one of our down-unda members, I think there is 6 parts to it just follow the prompt when your done with the segment for the next video
Yes indeed - I always recommend the Arnold Rowntree Fusion 360 tutorials! These are the best ones I have seen.
David
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Well, I ended up buying a plasma table. Drove 11 hours and hauled it back. Even though I did not build, I did keep the info I learned here in mind when evaluating the table. It was a very good deal, so I decided to get it.

It is a 4x8 prostar by praxair with linear rails, rack and pinion, water table, and a 85 Amp Hypertherm.

Since I already had a Hypertherm 85, I may sell the extra. Not sure if it is overkill to keep a second torch collecting dust?

Is it feasible to modify a water table to bladder style?

Also, the water cannot touch the bottom of the metal one is cutting. Initially I thought I would have to weld on some more metal to allow deeper water; however, I think the problem is the previous owner used taller slats than would be needed.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I will look forward to hearing how you make out once you get it up and cutting. An extra plasma cutter can come in very handy with hand torch for manual cutting. Also, the non-Sync machines will be in great demand down the road since they are no longer being manufactured. I have seen some who have the water level right up to the backside of the material being cut, and they say it helps to reduce warping. In my case, my water table is well below the cutting grates. I use a combination of water table and draft system to help eliminate smoke/contamination in my machine shop where my table resides.
Good luck!
David
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Any machine that can cut cleanly and with a good acceleration is good for plasma. Building from tube, plate steel or aluminum, extruded aluminum or formed steel the biggest gains are seen in the lower weight higher strength categories. Using FEA CEA analysis will lead the design understanding that one can pinpoint where the mass gains are and where they are not. We have one of the busiest most advanced gantry systems on the market. Laser cut, formed gusseted and hand indicated gantry will allow you to reach efficiencies you could not do with other methods including 2d extrusions. But...Once you step too far into routing you need mass. There is a very sharp upward curve of capability versus mass. So if you think 30lbs extra in your gantry mass will get you where you need to be routering using a 1.25" forming tool you really may need 400lbs. But a .25" endmill could be handled by a 60lb gantry. The question is what do you need this machine for? Do you want it for plasma? Do you want it for routing? Dual purpose often means...not always means that you are compromising your plasma ability. Sure you could buy a 100K+ machine that would do both and run off of 480V 3 phase. Dont expect very heavy weight gantry machines to be very good at thin materials. They often are underpowered. But expect lightweight gantries to handle smaller routing tools.
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

mikeysp wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 pm Well, I ended up buying a plasma table. Drove 11 hours and hauled it back. Even though I did not build, I did keep the info I learned here in mind when evaluating the table. It was a very good deal, so I decided to get it.

It is a 4x8 prostar by praxair with linear rails, rack and pinion, water table, and a 85 Amp Hypertherm.

Since I already had a Hypertherm 85, I may sell the extra. Not sure if it is overkill to keep a second torch collecting dust?

Also, the water cannot touch the bottom of the metal one is cutting. Initially I thought I would have to weld on some more metal to allow deeper water; however, I think the problem is the previous owner used taller slats than would be needed.
Thats an older SS machine. You never need your material sitting on water. Praxair owns Sector and Sector now builds the Prostar machine. You may have trouble getting any service or parts for that machine unfortunately.
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

Hopefully I will get a lot of good service out of it. If need be, I will change the electronics down the road. Hopefully not.

I had wondered about keeping the extra Plasma Cutter for hand cutting, so i think i will go that route.

BTA Plasma, that was a very interesting post. Even though I am married to my new machine already, I am glad to put that thought into my mental database for the future.

I am pretty excited. Funny thing is I am retired US Army Special Forces and it was only a few years ago (I am 54 tomorrow) that I realized that I was a mediocre SF guy. My whole bent since I am little has beens toward engineering, design, building, but I never realized it in the chaos of my career. So, I was a round peg in a square hole for decades. Though a very late bloomer in determination to get serious, and I do not think I have been more excited about my new work ever. I will certainly be chiming in next month once I start cutting. Thank all of you for all the thoughtful comments!
BTA Plasma

Post by BTA Plasma »

Thank you for your service Mike! At 54 your just a young up and coming perckerwood! You should have a ton of fun with your machine. Folks here and generally most folks that use these are willing to share a ton of info so you should be covered.
SegoMan DeSigns

mikeysp wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 pm

I think the problem is the previous owner used taller slats than would be needed.
Figure out how much the table will hold and build a tank twice as big under the table and plumb it in.

Not all tanks use a bladder system, quality welds and and air will push the fluids off the bottom of the tank to the tray.

Taller slats may have been used for ease of sliding material off..
Stingray13
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Stingray13 »

Mike,
What Group were you in? I've spent 19 Years in SF and the last 20 teaching advanced skills with BlackBird.
Good to see another Group Guy here.

LPJ BTAR/
SegoMan DeSigns

We need an update on this project now that winter is winding down..

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”