Small CNC plasma table build DIY

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Small CNC plasma table build DIY

Post by acourtjester »

After the build there is a time to dial things in, each day or cut shows results, and where attention is needed. It gets faster toward the end and you will be there very soon. No more time for others to schedule cutting parts for you. :Yay
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

It is going to improve the margins by a decent amount now I don't have to outsource cutting parts.

First ever project I am going to use it for has been drawn up in fusion.
Still need to tweak some things like maximum angles and add gas strut mounting locations but Its almost ready to be cut.
Once that is done it becomes easier to just cut something because I dont have to setup a table with the computer up and once I am done tear it down and put it away again.
monitor and keyboard mount2.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

After you have cut and assembled you computer mount, it may be something you can market for a side hustle. Nice clean design I would think a gas strut would go diagonally in the yellow arm section to counter the weight of the monitor? Are you using an all in one monitor or is the PC remote?
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

I doubt its worth marketing it as it's more a niche item.
Atleast in my country I don't think it is going to sell good enough to put the effort in to it.
Yes the gas strut is going to be from the lower yellow arm section to the top of the white joint section.

Still need to work some issues out with the table regarding the X axis.
The rocking on the tube has been fixed by tightening up the bearings and putting some pre load on them but there is some flex between the X axis carriage and Z axis that shows on velocity changes in the Y direction.

I was expecting that to happen but have not come up with a fix for it yet.
Might need to redesign the attachment method so it's more rigid but still gives me the adjustment options I do have.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Plasma-art wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:54 pm It is going to improve the margins by a decent amount now I don't have to outsource cutting parts.

First ever project I am going to use it for has been drawn up in fusion.
Still need to tweak some things like maximum angles and add gas strut mounting locations but Its almost ready to be cut.
Once that is done it becomes easier to just cut something because I dont have to setup a table with the computer up and once I am done tear it down and put it away again.

monitor and keyboard mount2.png
I like your design and your 3D renderings. Nice work!
David
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

I am working on getting the THC mouted and wired up but I hit a snag when it comes to the wiring.
Manual states use suitable HV wires between the proma and the plasma.
Would 230v mains cable be sufficient or do I need something that has better isolation?

Also do I put a second 12v power supply for the THC inside the plasma cutter or do I take 12v from from the controller?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

When I used a Proma I connected the power for the Proma from the controller. The Raw voltage from the Proma will be less that 200 volts, and I think normal wire is set at 600 volts insulation. the attached image shows one of my first tables using a Proma with raw voltage in you can see the wire is standard type. This was with a Longevity 80I plasma which was HV start.
Proma wiring.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

I gave it a secondary power supply to stay safe.
The wires I am using are rated at 400v and given the specs of plasma cutting it does look like it's safe.

Seems it works fine and there are no strang things happening.
Now its figuring out all the values and that does give its challenges.
When to raise and lower the voltage?
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

The monitor and keyboard arm is sort of done and mounted.
Still need to make the keyboard and mouse tray but I am waiting for my steel delivery so i can cut those.
Did do my worst drilling and painting ever to be honest.
Some of the holes didn't line up correctly and needed some taps with a hammer to get the bolts in.
But that's what you get when you rush things due to alot of work that's waiting.

Having the plasma table is so handy.
Just being able to draw some parts and cut them out for a project like this is great.
20230110_135043_compress19.jpg
20230110_133958_compress26.jpg
When I have time to clean up the files I'll release them here.
Need to figure out a square tube dimension that works with metric and imperial so its a but more universal.

Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

First layered house number sign is done.
Steel front with rattlecan metallic black paint on a stainless back.
A freebee for my boss that bought a new property the company I work at is moving to.
Need to get myself some VHB tape because that's probably easier then the rubber based caulk i used.
20230116_132050_compress4.jpg

N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

You are cutting parts. It must feel good after all the planning and building to have it come together and actually work. Thumbs up.

The address number 28 looks good. We’re you able to figure out the issue causing the wavy lines? Was thinking or wondering if the sliding parts are too tight if it would cause binding as well as belt stretch and rubber banding resulting in wavy lines? I’m asking for educational purposes and not suggesting it as a problem but wanting to learn if it could potentially be a problem.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Plasma-art wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:48 am First layered house number sign is done.
Steel front with rattlecan metallic black paint on a stainless back.
A freebee for my boss that bought a new property the company I work at is moving to.
Need to get myself some VHB tape because that's probably easier then the rubber based caulk i used.

20230116_132050_compress4.jpg
This looks great! Nice to see you are using your home built creation to produce very professional looking results.
David
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

N2 Welding wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:52 am The address number 28 looks good. We’re you able to figure out the issue causing the wavy lines?
I figured it out, it was partly due to the bearings not being tight enough causing the whole carriage to rotate on the square tube and also flex on the mounting of the Z axis to the X axis carriage.
Taking the play out of of the bearings solved most of it but I have not made the Z axis attachment more rigid yet.
Slowing it down and adjusting the amperage accordingly works until I make it more rigid.
The bearing carriages do work perfectly for the Y axis but need a bit of a redesign or the X axis to combat the rotation.
For plasma it's not a big issue but when using it for a router for example it rotates when ever the Y axis goes towards the back.

I was not expecting 100ipm anyway.
adbuch wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:30 am This looks great! Nice to see you are using your home built creation to produce very professional looking results.
Planning to make it a business, got 2 sheets of steel (2 and 3mm) yesterday and hope I get it dailed in and making a profit on those sheets.
However breaking even would already make me happy.
dailing it in making more parts like the keyboard shelf for the monitor mount.

Going to be cutting some more today if I can get the water in the table to be a liquid again :HaHa
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Maybe you could put some automotive anti-freeze into your water to lower the temperature it freezes. Just a thought.
David
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

It has crossed my mind but I doubt it's very healthy.
Only additive I am using is washing soda to keep the rust down as the regular additives aren't available here.
The layer of ice wasn't to thick luckily but my computer doesn't like the cold to much.
Doesn't want to boot up at all so that's going to be an issue. :HaHa
Growing pains I guess, might need to consider keeping the computer in the house when I am not using it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Might be time for a heater.
David
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

In the future when I can afford to rent a workshop so I can put the table inside :HaHa
Only have a small shed and it's taken up by shelving units, tools, sandblasting cabinet and a workbench.
Table is outside but under a roof and sheltered from the weather but there is no way to heat it.

The PC hardware I am using is meant for freezing conditions.

Did some more cutting, still getting a slight bevel on my cuts but I can not drop my torch lower while cutting otherwise it triggers the float switch.

Slightly fighting a double edge sword at the moment.
I can not go any faster and I can not drop the amperage any more because the bevel becomes worse.
20230121_133941_compress6.jpg
20230121_133001_compress59.jpg
But monitor arm is sort of finished, still need to paint the keyboard shelf and also make the hole of the monitor arm a bit bigger so it's not sitting at a tilt.
Should have drilled a decent clearance hole in the first place instead of going for a tight tolerance.
20230121_143026_compress32.jpg

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Many of us have gone through the same growing pains, this is a part of gaining knowledge of DIY CNC plasma. Each part comes with new info that you store away to help improve you skills. Just remember where you started, from scratch developing a plan, sourcing the components, assembling them, working through problems. The joy when you see it work, knowing your time has been well spent. :Yay
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”