DIY Plasma Table Need help deciding on what to do

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

DIY Plasma Table Need help deciding on what to do

Post by donniem70 »

I have not used my CNC plasma setup in a few years. It has been sitting in storage. I have finally move it back into the shop and going to give it another go. I have a home built table. My stuff is pretty dated .The build is approximately 7 years old. I have a Shop Droids controller running a Geckodrive G540 step motor system which is running on Windows 7 with Mach3. I am running the CM42 Plasma, which is enough for what I usually do. I was trying to install the Proma Plasma THC controller 150 SD MD. I did get the THC wired up to the CM42 and connected to the Mach3, but was never able to get the settings right for it to function correctly. That's around the time I stopped using it.

I want to bring this system up to date.
I am running 4 stepper motors on my set up, Z,X,Y and a Slave. I do not have any limit switch's on the X or Y and want to install them also. I do not know the first thing about what to look for as far as controllers, or software now. I want something simple to set up and use. I felt like Mach3 was kind of difficult to setup and work with before. I am okay with using my Geckodrive G540, if I can make it work along with the THC controller. But if it is simpler and better to start over with the controller and software, I am okay with that also.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need help deciding on what to do

Post by acourtjester »

What you have will work once it is setup correctly. You said you have a Proma Plasma THC controller 150 SD MD, that is actually 2 models named.
They make a 150 and a SD the difference is in how it is wired. The 150 sends signals to the BOB for the up and down movement. The SD route the up and down signals from the BOB though itself to the motor driver. The SD has be problematic for many where the 150 seems to be easier to setup and work.
There is help to get your unit setup and functional, Mach 3 is one of the simplest controllers to set up.
https://eagleplasma.net/product/the-proma-thc-sd/
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: DIY Plasma Table Need help deciding on what to do

Post by weldguy »

I am with Tom, I would stick with what you have and what you know and simply improve upon your current platform. So many people having good success with setups like yours.
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

What model would mine be then? Here is a picture of mineImage

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

Also, thank you for the input. Just what I am looking for. Hopefully I can get this back up and running. I have parts to make for my project vehicles, lol.
I do have a youtube channel that I post some of the things I get involved in. I am going to put something together on this process of getting this back up and running.
Check it out if you get time. It is The Man Cave Chronicles. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzUORL ... 9vTRorrOtQ
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

donniem70 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:41 pmI do not have any limit switch's on the X or Y and want to install them also.
It looks like pin 1 to 4 are input pins on the g540
You can hook up limit switches on those pins.
What do you currently have connected?
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

Plasma-art wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:27 am
donniem70 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:41 pmI do not have any limit switch's on the X or Y and want to install them also.
Honestly, I don't know. I will take a look at that this afternoon and get back with you. Thanks!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

As to the model you will need to look at the wiring to see which one you have. I sent the SD manual above, the main difference is how the connection is with the BOB. here is the 150 manual page 4 shows the sire for it
http://cncdrive.com/downloads/CompactTHC_manual.pdf
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

Plasma-art wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:27 am
Pins 1-4 currently have the THC and the z-limit/Homing switch.
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

donniem70 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:07 pm Pins 1-4 currently have the THC and the z-limit/Homing switch.
Does your proma THC have step/dir or up/down/arcOK labels for the wiring?
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

Plasma-art wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:29 am
donniem70 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:07 pm Pins 1-4 currently have the THC and the z-limit/Homing switch.
Does your proma THC have step/dir or up/down/arcOK labels for the wiring?
It has the up/down/arc labels
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

That helps because that's the regular proma and not the SD, I think they didnt black out the SD as they seem to do.
The downside of this would be a shortage of input pins on the controller side so wiring up homing switches on the other axis is going to be more difficult .

There are a number of options.
-Second parallelport with cheap Chinese BOB to give you 4 extra inputs and that's plenty.
-Splice them directly into a second parallel port cable however not suggested because you want to have some isolation circuitry.
-I believe there is a mesa ethernet board out there you can plug your gecko drive into and give you more inputs but I do not know if that works with mach3.

There are other more knowledgeable people on the forum that can chime in on more options and can correct me if I am wrong.
donniem70
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by donniem70 »

Plasma-art wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:24 am That helps because that's the regular proma and not the SD, I think they didnt black out the SD as they seem to do.
The downside of this would be a shortage of input pins on the controller side so wiring up homing switches on the other axis is going to be more difficult .

There are a number of options.
-Second parallelport with cheap Chinese BOB to give you 4 extra inputs and that's plenty.
-Splice them directly into a second parallel port cable however not suggested because you want to have some isolation circuitry.
-I believe there is a mesa ethernet board out there you can plug your gecko drive into and give you more inputs but I do not know if that works with mach3.

There are other more knowledgeable people on the forum that can chime in on more options and can correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you for the information. I am happy to finally know which THC I have. That does help a lot. I was wondering about adding a BOB. IF anyone has any other suggestions of information on doing that, I would appreciate it very much.

I pickup this setup a few years back with everything already set up other than the THC. The more I have looked at it, I think I am going to make use of the components that I have (Like some of you have suggested), but rewire everything. I think that may be part of my issues.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”