Sh hc31 thc mach 3 interface

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Ananki cnc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Sh hc31 thc mach 3 interface

Post by Ananki cnc »

Hello everybody.. Has anyone worked with Chinese thc.. Starfire.. Sh hc31.. I have built myself a plasma cutter and the only thing stopping from celebrating my build is this thc. I can't get the gaddamn thing to work.. I mean it will cut on manual mode.. But it looks like won't raise or lower on cutting.. I mean getting a proper detailed manual compatible with mach 3 is proving impossible.. Help out a brother
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Sh hc31 thc mach 3 interface

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome to the site! Wish I could help you but I have no experience with that THC. I know some here do so hopefully they will chime in.

You could also try posting your questions in the DIY forum here viewforum.php?f=103 and describe what happens when you try to use the table with the THC. Does the torch raise too high, go too low, do nothing at all?

Good luck.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard! Are you saying that the table did not come with a manual for the height control? Your thc should be able to interface with Mach3, so you just need to figure out the proper settings - and also make sure your thc is wired correctly. I agree with plasmanewbie that perhaps you might have better luck posting in the diy section of the forum.
David
34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34by151 »

As you are using a standalone THC you need to do some extra config to mach3

First enable the option "set output5 when in THC" on, wire this to the Auto signal on the thc
Spindle Relay Control (M3) set to output 5, connect this to arc on on the THC
Enable input "THC on", wire this pin to Arc oK/Transfer pin on the THC

Make sure the THC auto is enabled when you select THC on in mach3, if it's around the wrong way change the "active low" on output 5
Test the ARC Ok signal, Run a small gcode file. After the M3, Torch should do the IHS and fire then send the ARC OK. Mach3 should wait for the arc ok before moving on from the M3 command

THC will now run in auto mode

Here is some links to a guy that has documented the whole setup

Video of the install
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_cJlMhwqmY&t=1918s

Manual and Config files
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p4lRi0 ... juUfr/view
Ananki cnc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ananki cnc »

Thank you everyone.. I should have come here along time ago.. I built the table myself and I kinda thought this would be plug and play.. Only to take 4 months on this thing.. When you underestimate the scope of the problem.. So now am back at it.... The resources you provide are proving to be gold.. I haven't tested but by reading I can tell this is what I have been trying to figure out.. Where to put up/down.. Auto.. Arc OK..
34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34by151 »

Just took a look at the manual for that one
Its not a full standalone THC in that it does not do a pierce cycle

Put a relay on an output and assign macros to turn this on/off
Wire the plasma arc ok to the relay and then to the thc on input
Connect mach3 (m3) output1 to the start on the torch
Setup outputs for up and down, assign macros to each and connect to thc
Setup another output for Auto/manual and assign a macro

You will need to do the pierce in in the post processor and the IHS on the THC

In the PP you need to time the up signal to raise to pierce height
Macro for up for x seconds
Turn off auto using macro
Then send the m3 to start the torch
Wait for a pierce delay
turn on on auto using macro (torch should go down to cut height)
turn on relay output (allowing mach3 to see the thc on input)
G code will then continue

Also in the PP make sure you turn off the relay and auto signal whne the m05 is issued to turn off the torch

If your going to do slowdown in corners you need to switch the thc to manual using your macro at the same time

With all that being said, personally i wouldn't bother going ahead with the THC you have
Id change the THC to one that has a pierce cycle
Much simpler to work with

The AHA-L2 or F1628S if your using steppers for Z axis
The SF-HC25G or XPTHC-4h for DC motor z axis
Ananki cnc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ananki cnc »

Hello everybody.. Hope y'all doing awesome.. I thought I should give an update of my plasma cutter project.. So I got some really helpful feedback last time.. And thanks to your help I managed to get up and down working from my computer.. That's a small success.. However I the thc still won't raise or lower on auto mode.. I can measure a raw arc voltage of 100v when cutting but looks like there's no voltage on the divider output.... Am starting to think the problem is my voltage divider.. Av tried switching from 1:100 to 1:1 but nothing.. Also on cutting.. I can't get the cnc to finish the cut.. It seems to switch relay off before completing the cut.. Av tried switching sheet am to lazy cam still same problem.
16678206121782832424263687906933.jpg
16678205866302752372891446757537.jpg
IMG_20221104_153506.jpg
IMG_20221104_153639.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Ananki cnc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ananki cnc »

34by151 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:55 am Just took a look at the manual for that one
Its not a full standalone THC in that it does not do a pierce cycle

Put a relay on an output and assign macros to turn this on/off
Wire the plasma arc ok to the relay and then to the thc on input
Connect mach3 (m3) output1 to the start on the torch
Setup outputs for up and down, assign macros to each and connect to thc
Setup another output for Auto/manual and assign a macro

You will need to do the pierce in in the post processor and the IHS on the THC

In the PP you need to time the up signal to raise to pierce height
Macro for up for x seconds
Turn off auto using macro
Then send the m3 to start the torch
Wait for a pierce delay
turn on on auto using macro (torch should go down to cut height)
turn on relay output (allowing mach3 to see the thc on input)
G code will then continue

Also in the PP make sure you turn off the relay and auto signal whne the m05 is issued to turn off the torch

If your going to do slowdown in corners you need to switch the thc to manual using your macro at the same time

With all that being said, personally i wouldn't bother going ahead with the THC you have
Id change the THC to one that has a pierce cycle
Much simpler to work with

The AHA-L2 or F1628S if your using steppers for Z axis
The SF-HC25G or XPTHC-4h for DC motor z axis
The SF-HC25 was an earlier model.. I can tell it's the same with more integration.. This thc cost me 400$ plus a century in waiting time.. It's already too expensive.. But my next build am Def switching to proma.. I started this build an yr ago.. I had a high frequency plasma then, well let's say I didn't get too far as my breakout board had tons of problems with the emf.. I shelved it away ordered an lgk105 plasma cutter.. This is 105A blowback.. 100% duty cycle.. With a hypertherm torch
.. So this is where am at..am stuck here still I cant get full cut.. It cuts up to 80% then turns off..
Help me out.. Thanks..
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

lad to hear you are having some success. As for your cut not completing that could be a number of things. First thing I would check is if will cut a 12-20 straight line manually without shutting of early. If you can complete this then we can be confident the issue is with your controller or software and not the plasma cutter or air supply issues. I would work on getting this issue resolved first and then go back to the THC voltage issue.
Ananki cnc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ananki cnc »

weldguy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:56 am lad to hear you are having some success. As for your cut not completing that could be a number of things. First thing I would check is if will cut a 12-20 straight line manually without shutting of early. If you can complete this then we can be confident the issue is with your controller or software and not the plasma cutter or air supply issues. I would work on getting this issue resolved first and then go back to the THC voltage issue.
That's pretty good advice.. I forgot to mention the only way am getting complete cut is if I cut then reverse direction then generate post of the two toolpath so it combines them into 1..
Ananki cnc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Ananki cnc »

weldguy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:56 am lad to hear you are having some success. As for your cut not completing that could be a number of things. First thing I would check is if will cut a 12-20 straight line manually without shutting of early. If you can complete this then we can be confident the issue is with your controller or software and not the plasma cutter or air supply issues. I would work on getting this issue resolved first and then go back to the THC voltage issue.
Hello morning bro.. So I did check like you said but I can tell it's not a relay issue.. For some reason the relay is sending m5 before the the cnc could finish moving therefore leading to incomplete cut.. Am thinking am missing some settings.. Anybody come across such a problem

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”