Nearing the finish of table #10

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Nearing the finish of table #10

Post by acourtjester »

Here are some images for the base for table #10. Using my rotisserie to weld up the base for the table I needed to unload it. Being a one man band it was as Elmer Fudd says "Veriwe Carefullwe" watching my toes. I had already constructed the moving section (X, Y and Z assemblies) and the controller. The base was the last to do. This table will have LinuxCNC as its OS so there will be some learning involved, it is functional but need fine tuning.
DSCN0071.JPG
DSCN0072.JPG
DSCN0076.JPG
DSCN0077.JPG
DSCN0080.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Nearing the finish of table #10

Post by plasmanewbie »

Up to number 10! Wow Tom, looks great, love the home grown rotisserie! Modified engine stands? Clever. Curious to see what you think of LinuxCNC.
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

Looks nice and sturdy Tom.
I can see that was a pain to maneuver by yourself.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Nice and stout Tom.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

So far I like LinuxCNC, it is quite different than MacH3/4 and UCCNC as the configuring is done via an external bit of software. But much the same with wiring and pin selection and tasks they are used. It can be confusing as to which Linux operating system and then the selection of the screen sets (GUI). It seems as it is open source things are developed by different people for different operations. A PC has its own bootable OS on the hard drive unless you setup a dual boot PC. Mesa has many different controller boards so the electronics can configured many ways. I have selected the 7I76E and 2 add on boards for THC and Ohmic sensing. Ether connection to the PC and many inputs and outputs pins that are flexible in the configuration software.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:04 pm So far I like LinuxCNC, it is quite different than MacH3/4 and UCCNC as the configuring is done via an external bit of software. But much the same with wiring and pin selection and tasks they are used.
Have you looked into the actual HAL part of configuring already?
That really opens up customization of linuxcnc.
The learning curve for that is a bit steep but the possibilities are almost endless.
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/hal/tutorial.html
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

hal is not that steep or complex, just think of it like a box of electrical and.electronic components, each with a series of input and output pins and they are "wired" (linked) to other pins to do whatever you want them to do or however you want them to work.

some of the hal components work in real time and some work at what is known as "userspace" time frame (think of it as the same time frame as screen elements are updated)

yes you can write / make your own hal components to do whatever you want (possibilities and complexity is endless) but in my opinion there is no need as there are more than enough hal components to do probably anything you can think of if added together in your chosen sequence.

if you scroll down to the bottom of this page where it says MAN PAGES, and expand those lists they provide all of the userspace and realtime hal components and the common ones provide details of all input and output pins and a description of what they do.

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/

here is an example of a hal component

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/ma ... it1.9.html
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for the replies from both of you, I did get the original controller operational. And I will get the new table reconfigured with the newer Debian 11, it is not quite as easy as Mach or UCCNC. I just need to switch hats when seated at the Linux controller, I have looked at Hal and made changes there too. question for both of you which version of Linux are you using and are you using QTPlasmaC. If you are using QTPlasmaC is there an update from about 1 year ago??
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

I used the latest at the time and that was the 2.8.2 buster version.
But when i am at the point of actually using my table I am going to do a fresh install with the latest at that time.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I painted the base and started mounting the parts that were pre-made on the other table. Quick power up and the motors turn and the "E" stop worked, I will continue working on it. I seem to have misplaced the plate that I mounted the 3-D printed torch holder and floating head switch?? :Sad
I am using debian 10 with Buster 2.9 and QTPlasmaC 1.0.43
the video is when I have the moving section (Y and Z ) axis assemblies on the other table for setting up the Linux controller cabinet.
DSCN0089.JPG
DSCN0091.JPG
DSCN0092.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Plasma-art wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:47 pm I used the latest at the time and that was the 2.8.2 buster version.
But when i am at the point of actually using my table I am going to do a fresh install with the latest at that time.
you don't need to do a fresh install just update the software

install qtplasmac and it will do nearly everything plasma
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks Robert after looking at the linuxCNC site I may just redue QTPlasmaC, what version are you using and did you get it from Github??
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Getting real close with the finishing of the new table, using QTPlasmaC have the Home/Limits switches working. And today I wired up the Ohmic sensor tested OK. I will be using the magnetic breakaway torch holder and floating head setup I 3-D printed. Seems the only thing left is configuring the THCAD card for the THC option. I had it working on the other table for testing. I just not found my notes on how to do it yet. :Sad
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
caretech
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by caretech »

acourjester did you get the latest version of qtplasmac running? I'd be willing to send you a share link for debs I built from code pulled fresh from Github on Dec 31. That has all the latest and greatest that qtplasmac has to offer, including a Run from Line bug fix I helped track down. (the joy of open source!)

Installing these in Debian 11 is easy, just open the .deb file and click Install. The existing version of LinuxCNC will be updated.

Joel
Shop-built 5x10 table powered by QtPlasmaC
Hypertherm PM 85 machine torch
Lincoln PowerMig 255C
Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255
Ermak SpeedBend Pro
caretech

Post by caretech »

Regarding THC setup, it's built into the PNC Conf wizard. At least in newer versions. I only had to use custom HAL for ohmic probing (using rodw's ohmic3.comp component) and for my 5-zone downdraft damper door system. The torch height control Mesa card setup was all graphical.

You do need to install the plasma firmware on the 7i76e in order to flash the board so it has 3 encoder inputs rather than just 1. You need an encoder input for thc with the THCAD-10, and another for ohmic probing if you're using the THCAD-5 for that.
Lincoln PowerMig 255C
Ermak SpeedBend Pro
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Hi Joel Thanks for checking up on me.
Yes I have the newer version of QTPlasmaC (V1.233.253) running, unless you are saying there is a newer one (Dec31). I have not loaded a newer version of the Mesa firmware as I am only using the THC on one encoder. I am using a different Ohmic sensor on my setup which works fine, I have used the same module on another Plasma table I built, very easy and simple. I did try the THCAD-5 on the older version of QTPlasmaC I had loaded but (lack on knowledge of LinuxCNC) could not get it going correctly. There are some very nice options on QTPlasmaC making the operations handy, the custom buttons is one I like. I have a few things to iron out and then will sell my other table.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
caretech

Post by caretech »

Great, if I'm reading the release notes right, it looks like you're almost up to date. I think your version is from Nov 27.

https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https:// ... sions.html

I've only built one table yet but am very impressed with QtPlasmaC so far. The powerful Cut Recovery screen with its forward and reverse jogging controls has saved my day more than once. I have custom HAL that turns on my downdraft fan if the torch is enabled and the machine is in Run mode, and keeps it on for a specified time after cycle pause or end to help clear the smoke. Some more custom HAL runs a home-built zoned downdraft system. Work has never been so fun.
Lincoln PowerMig 255C
Ermak SpeedBend Pro
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Neat having the extra optional controls to work with. I may look into upgrading to the latest version. I will need to bring the controller into my home, no WIFI in the shop.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”