Acorn CNC Or MyPlasma Controller?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Potus2000
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Acorn CNC Or MyPlasma Controller?

Post by Potus2000 »

Hello,

Long time lurker who’s finally starting his first build. Apologies in advanced for basic questions to follow…

For controllers, I’m very interested in what the community feels is the better of the two I’ve heard good things about both. Is there something that you feel makes one a superior product? Is there a controller you feel is better? Why?

Everyone’s input is appreciated. Thank you!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Acorn Or MyPlasma?

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Potus. Please tell us more about your planned diy build. Are you going stepper or servo? What size table? Table design? etc.
Thanks,
David
acourtjester

Re: Acorn CNC Or MyPlasma Controller?

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, there are many DIY types here, and those who have used a kit approach on a build. There are a few things to consider when choosing how to go. Price, software, knowledge, ability, and time all factor in to what you go with. The price include components, software, and materials, The lowest price will be sourcing all things to the basic level. Researching what and where you can get the things you need. There are different levels of kits, some are software and electronics combined, other are mechanical only, other are software only. The other way of researching and gathering components does take time. I have built 10 table and took a varied approach sometimes the cheapest and other with a kit. I also have used different softwares, some softwares require using a connecting electronics package. My last table was the cheapest as I machined and cut all the mechanical parts welded them myself. Gathered the electronics components from separate sources, downloaded the software and learned to configure it. I'm retired so worked at my own pace and had the tools I needed. The table design is my own (which I will share) and I used electronics from Mesa and software is LinuxCNC. Create a plan and work toward its completion it is a great adventure that many have done.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Potus2000
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Acorn Or MyPlasma?

Post by Potus2000 »

adbuch wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:11 am Welcome aboard Potus. Please tell us more about your planned diy build. Are you going stepper or servo? What size table? Table design? etc.
Thanks,
David
Thank you for the welcome!

I’m planning a 4x4 table based on space with gear and track drive. I’m still trying to learn about how to mount the motors since I understand direct drive is not recommended. I’m leaning towards closed loop steppers for the price but am interested in servos if I could source them at a decent price and the learning curve isn’t too steep. Speaking of learning curves, I’m interested in a controller with an intuitive/easy to use interface.
Potus2000
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Potus2000 »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:39 am Welcome aboard, there are many DIY types here, and those who have used a kit approach on a build. There are a few things to consider when choosing how to go. Price, software, knowledge, ability, and time all factor in to what you go with. The price include components, software, and materials, The lowest price will be sourcing all things to the basic level. Researching what and where you can get the things you need. There are different levels of kits, some are software and electronics combined, other are mechanical only, other are software only. The other way of researching and gathering components does take time. I have built 10 table and took a varied approach sometimes the cheapest and other with a kit. I also have used different softwares, some softwares require using a connecting electronics package. My last table was the cheapest as I machined and cut all the mechanical parts welded them myself. Gathered the electronics components from separate sources, downloaded the software and learned to configure it. I'm retired so worked at my own pace and had the tools I needed. The table design is my own (which I will share) and I used electronics from Mesa and software is LinuxCNC. Create a plan and work toward its completion it is a great adventure that many have done.
I think I’d ultimately like to source individual parts and not rely on a kit. Not sure that’s the easiest route but I think I’d learn more. Any recommendations on controllers and software? How did you like the LinuxCNC and Mesa combo? Id love to see pics and info on your build!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I like the LinuxCNC due to it many inputs and outputs and optional board for THC and the software is free. There are many posts on YouTube showing people using it. I started with Debian 10 and now am using Degian 11 with QTPlasmaC as a GUI this is geared to Plasma. It was a little different from Windows based software but not bad, it took a little to get going. There are member here and on the LinuxCNC site that helped. I used the Mesa 7I76E card and the THCAD-10 for the THC.
Image of the base and the torch holder and Z axis assembly, and the controller I built. As I said it is completely from scratch, motors and drivers from eBay, controller and THCAD card from Mesa. Software downloaded from the LinuxCNC site. Bearings and other drive components from online companies. I will give you all the info as to vendors and a complete wiring diagram, PM me with your email info will be sent from the Google drive.
If you have a 3-D printer I have the file for the torch holder, with either floating head switch or it plus magnetic torch break away switch. You can print your own. :Like I have also added optional attachments for wood routing, cutting sign vinyl with a drag knife, etched with diamond scribe, and pen plotter.
DSCN0080.JPG
DSCN4877.JPG
DSCN0102.JPG
DSCN3611.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Potus2000
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Potus2000 »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:21 pm I like the LinuxCNC due to it many inputs and outputs and optional board for THC and the software is free. There are many posts on YouTube showing people using it. I started with Debian 10 and now am using Degian 11 with QTPlasmaC as a GUI this is geared to Plasma. It was a little different from Windows based software but not bad, it took a little to get going. There are member here and on the LinuxCNC site that helped. I used the Mesa 7I76E card and the THCAD-10 for the THC.
Image of the base and the torch holder and Z axis assembly, and the controller I built. As I said it is completely from scratch, motors and drivers from eBay, controller and THCAD card from Mesa. Software downloaded from the LinuxCNC site. Bearings and other drive components from online companies. I will give you all the info as to vendors and a complete wiring diagram, PM me with your email info will be sent from the Google drive.
If you have a 3-D printer I have the file for the torch holder, with either floating head switch or it plus magnetic torch break away switch. You can print your own. :Like I have also added optional attachments for wood routing, cutting sign vinyl with a drag knife, etched with diamond scribe, and pen plotter.
DSCN0080.JPG
DSCN4877.JPG
DSCN0102.JPG
DSCN3611.JPG

That’s an impressive looking table! I’ll sure DM you and appreciate the info. This will help me speed up the process for sure!

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”