THC Sliding mechanisms RATTMMOTOR HBX1605 Linear Motion Guide

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: THC Sliding mechanisms RATTMMOTOR HBX1605 Linear Motion Guide

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Check into Hiwin rails / blocks your Automation Direct sells them.

Here is another source:

https://motionconstrained.com/

Orientation should not be a major factor just keep them cleaned and oiled. Most people mount them below the top of the water bed slats so you can pull metal off with out scratching them up..

Looks like your already using a CAD program (Cardboard Aided Design) Pizza Edittion :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Wow I hope those motionconstrained.com Hiwin linear rails ain’t no joke because price wise they’re killing me. Hopefully the quality is a reflection for the high premium they demand.

I have a couple of different roller ball drawer slides. I’ll have to take a look at those to see how much slop they have and go back to the drawing board cause those things Hiwin’s ain’t no joke but my wallet is compared to that stuff :o

Yeah pizza box edition CAD LOL :p

Was looking up magnets because I got a couple different ideas for brake aways. https://www.amazon.com/circle-magnets-h ... +in+center
Last edited by N2 Welding on Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SegoMan DeSigns

I used 3 of the neodymium with a pre-drilled hole that are 3/4" OD The 2nd one on your list is to powerful for a torch mount. What was the cost for rails / blocks?? on the site you linked for the R&P?
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I did not get to pricing the linear rails at the other sight. So what lbs magnets are good for brakeaway strength that will keep the torch in place but brake away when collides happen?
SegoMan DeSigns

This is the magnets I used (in conjunction with a 7/16" steel bearing) :

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail. ... N52&cat=15

Take note on the shield I cut and bent to cover the linear rails on Z axis from splashes

IMG_20230206_101307612.jpg

The break away switch (same style used for homing and float)

IMG_20230206_101331694.jpg

https://temcoindustrial.com/short-rolle ... ch-8-pack/

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Looking at this unit from karvecut cnc. They also have one that looks the same but says v4 and I have no idea why it cost more or what is different.

https://step-motion.com/collections/xca ... version-v4

N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:46 pm This is the magnets I used (in conjunction with a 7/16" steel bearing) :

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail. ... N52&cat=15

Take note on the shield I cut and bent to cover the linear rails on Z axis from splashes

IMG_20230206_101307612.jpg

The break away switch (same style used for homing and float)

IMG_20230206_101331694.jpg

https://temcoindustrial.com/short-rolle ... ch-8-pack/
Yep I've been pondering how to cover the linear rails for a minute now. That is a good price for those 10 pack of short throw roller micro switches. I was wondering if the long throw micro switches allow for some flex. Thinking the longer the lever is on the micro switch the more flex it will have for situations like where the gantry is running fast for homing etc and if it happens to go bezerk and goes into the switch fast. More flex in the longer lever would add some travel and redundancy against braking the switch??? For the z axes switches those look perfect :Like
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Putting this here so I don't have to go digging for it. Measurements from the Z axes movement I purchased.

SegoMan DeSigns

The micro work great on Z axis as it is a short throw, like you say X & Y needs a longer travel. Open the link for the micro switches and jump up one layer to see a larger more robust variety of limit switches. Another option is proximity switches. Did you find your Gadget / Widget unit converter yet? I have one on each monitor for converting measurements.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

No forgot to even have a look for the converter widget
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

The magnetic breakaway THC thing arrived.

SegoMan DeSigns

Just suspend it with some rope and park a plaz table under it :HaHa :HaHa
Last edited by SegoMan DeSigns on Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

It’ll probably be a while before I get around to getting a table built. I’ll be making payments for the torch and Magnetic break away for about 6 months to a year. Have other things I need to get done in the mean time and spring bass fishing spawning season is coming up right around the corner so yeah might be a hot minute.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

I was thinking of adding a short cable to the break away Plate to limit how far the torch can fall if/when a collision occurs.
SegoMan DeSigns

Look at the splash shield on my first pic, you can sandwich it between where the break away mount bolts to the block on the slider, just shim out as needed for proper clearance. Your off to a good start and moving forward, now that you have this part in house you can continue with your CAD (pizza box edition) drawings just be generous with travel distances. Depending how the torch lead is mounted you may or may not need a cable as your torch will be above the plate and the table travel will stop immediately when the breakaway switch is tripped.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Having never used a CNC plasma cutter and being a pessimist causes me to always think about all the what if’s before building in an attempt to create a solution to a problem that might not even exist lol. In any case, the theory is to prevent the torch from adding stress to the torch lead as well as preventing the torch consumables from taking a bath in the event it pops off and falls into an opening. That’s how the hamster rolls around in my head ;)

You do bring up a point that requires a lot more head scratching with regards to splash shield. Not sure what the lightest solution would be but I’m not ruling out making a wooden mold to form a shield out of fiberglass. Possibilities are limitless but my patients at times is not.
SegoMan DeSigns

What-Ifs and paralysis by analysis should be overridden by KISS engineering. I used 16 ga on my splash-shied 2 bends and I'm done. if you have a HVAC shop near you they would have galvanized in an even thinner gauge.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Ok I recently blew my budget to build a plasma table because I got an oportunity to buy an old 1940's Pratt and Whitney model B 12x30 lathe. However I was looking for some small 12" x 12" x 1/4" drops at a local scrap metal recycler and saw some 2.5" x 2.5" x 1/4" square tube for 0.50 cents / lbs so I got 120 feet or 6 x 20' pieces of it. So I am one step closer. Now if I can only save enough money to buy the controller, drivers and linear rails etc.
Last edited by N2 Welding on Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:28 pm What-Ifs and paralysis by analysis should be overridden by KISS engineering. I used 16 ga on my splash-shied 2 bends and I'm done. if you have a HVAC shop near you they would have galvanized in an even thinner gauge.
I have some shelving material I could use to make the shielding.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Looking at closed loop steppers with add on 10.1 gear reduction.

2E7981D4-3D09-46B7-89AD-3AFAACA989BB.png
23C173A6-0658-42BE-BB46-E31C50E436F7.png

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Depending on your pinion diameter, 10:1 could be too slow. Our engineering showed a 5:1 gearbox with 30mm pinion diameter was the go for NEMA 34's
Do some sums based on your drive line and the motror torque curve to estimate maximum velocity...
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Oh wow more of Pandora’s box lol. I watched a video earlier which is why I looked up these. The two bigger nema 34’s are for moving the gantry and the smaller nema 34 is for moving the torch accross the gantry and the nema 24 is for z access torch height.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Rodw wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:44 pm Depending on your pinion diameter, 10:1 could be too slow. Our engineering showed a 5:1 gearbox with 30mm pinion diameter was the go for NEMA 34's
Do some sums based on your drive line and the motror torque curve to estimate maximum velocity...
Is this based on getting as smooth a cut as possible or for getting the fastest rapids with smooth cuts.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

You need to be sure the maximum cutting speed is within the torque curve while ensuring the rapids are where you want them. PLus you have to be aware of the accelleration which is king. You want to ensure maximum performance from the motor without it overheating. There are many factors in our model.

Z axis Nema 24 direct drive ballscrew is what I used.
On the X axis along the gantry, I used NEMA 24 and 3:1 becasue thats what I had on hand. I think 5:1 would be better.
Y axis, I used 2 x Nema 34's 7 NM with 5:1 reduction
My gantry was nice and light basically all aluminiumn
You look like your Z axis assembly is nice and light So you could go with another NEMA24 there I think which might save you some coin.
With steppers, bigger is not always better as the velocity falls
Try and use 60-72 volt power to the motors.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Ok that make better sense to me now. Thank you for explaning it in simpler terms :)

So higher volts makes the motor run faster?

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”