JD's Garage simple Gantry table

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: JD's Garage simple Gantry table

Post by adbuch »

20230317_215244.jpg
20230327_134357.jpg
20230408_151747.jpg
20230408_161929.jpg
That's a nice assortment of well done pieces! It looks like you've got your table dialed in pretty well.
David

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are many YouTube videos of guy developing Arduino based THC packages, many are the stand along type which drive a motor for the torch positioning. The Proma SD mounts electrically between the controller and driver so it uses the same motor for the torch movement and THC. The Proma 150 does it differently by getting the signals from the plasma unit and sending signals to the controller (BOB) which controls the Z motor. These signal are more like the way the G-code or keyboard keys move the Z up or down through the BOB.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Dingo74536
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dingo74536 »

If you want to look at another Arduino based standalone THC have a look at this build on Youtube, and BTW I have built this unit but I have not used it as I did not have a voltage divider and if anyone wants to give it a try I have the Arduino Mega, Nextion Display, and 3D printed housing as shown.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dingo74536 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:43 am If you want to look at another Arduino based standalone THC have a look at this build on Youtube, and BTW I have built this unit but I have not used it as I did not have a voltage divider and if anyone wants to give it a try I have the Arduino Mega, Nextion Display, and 3D printed housing as shown.

Dingo74356 - thanks for those links! I do have some interest in the Arduino based systems, particularly thc so I will have a look at those videos you have sited.
David
Dingo74536
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dingo74536 »

The THC unit shown looks promising and it is well documented here https://openbuilds.com/builds/standalon ... ting.9571/

Problem is the whole thing went cold for some reason.
I did the build but I did not have a voltage divider to finish and I stopped there, so I have the bits if anyone wants to try it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dingo74536 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:39 am The THC unit shown looks promising and it is well documented here https://openbuilds.com/builds/standalon ... ting.9571/

Problem is the whole thing went cold for some reason.
I did the build but I did not have a voltage divider to finish and I stopped there, so I have the bits if anyone wants to try it.
You might consider creating a listing in the Classified section of this forum to show what bits you have to offer.
David
Magna Machine Works
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Magna Machine Works »

I have been curious about this stand alone THC, this is a rookie question, but does it need to be hooked up to a computer to use it? I saw that he changed to the bigger Arduino for more computing power, So I am assuming if you have a 2 pin CNC capable machine this would be plug and play?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Magna Machine Works wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:46 pm I have been curious about this stand alone THC, this is a rookie question, but does it need to be hooked up to a computer to use it? I saw that he changed to the bigger Arduino for more computing power, So I am assuming if you have a 2 pin CNC capable machine this would be plug and play?
The technical description indicates that it is completely "stand alone", so to me this says that no additional computer is required.

You can read the complete description of operation here.

https://openbuilds.com/builds/standalon ... ting.9571/

David
thc 0.jpg
thc.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Dingo74536
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Dingo74536 »

Hi, I may be wrong but you are still going to need a computer to control the whole show. but the Arduino, like some other THC units operates independently from the main o.s like Mach 3 or Open builds BRBL.
So yes in theory it worked for him, but will it work for someone else, I have no idea.
I just followed the build thread and instructions and gathered the Arduino Mega, correct Nextion LCD and 3D printed the housing.
So the board has the base firmware on it, the LCD screen lights up and you have the menus screens all there but that is as far as I got before I canned the project.
I did not have a voltage divider to hook up to it so I could not test it in action, which was the next step but I was not sure about the rest there onward.
I got frustrated by all of the low cost THC units on offer in my price range and no one was a dead set winner imo, so I bit the bullet and went with a Proma Myplasm system, which is a complete system that does not need Mach , Sheetcam etc, it does it all in one package and just seems to work well for what it was designed for, so I am just about to install it on my table in coming days. :(
The cost versus risk of the Standalone THC project is just not there sadly because you will spend half to two thirds of the cost of a true THC that should work and have support for not too much more money.
So is the risk worth it ??
Magna Machine Works
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:40 pm
Magna Machine Works wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:46 pm I have been curious about this stand alone THC, this is a rookie question, but does it need to be hooked up to a computer to use it? I saw that he changed to the bigger Arduino for more computing power, So I am assuming if you have a 2 pin CNC capable machine this would be plug and play?
The technical description indicates that it is completely "stand alone", so to me this says that no additional computer is required.

You can read the complete description of operation here.

https://openbuilds.com/builds/standalon ... ting.9571/

Davidthc 0.jpgthc.jpg
Thank you,
it looks like the software for the screen and the thc is in the Arduino, you just need a 5 volt adapter to power it and control everything off the touch screen
Magna Machine Works
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Dingo74536 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:55 am Hi, I may be wrong but you are still going to need a computer to control the whole show. but the Arduino, like some other THC units operates independently from the main o.s like Mach 3 or Open builds BRBL.
So yes in theory it worked for him, but will it work for someone else, I have no idea.
I just followed the build thread and instructions and gathered the Arduino Mega, correct Nextion LCD and 3D printed the housing.
So the board has the base firmware on it, the LCD screen lights up and you have the menus screens all there but that is as far as I got before I canned the project.
I did not have a voltage divider to hook up to it so I could not test it in action, which was the next step but I was not sure about the rest there onward.
I got frustrated by all of the low cost THC units on offer in my price range and no one was a dead set winner imo, so I bit the bullet and went with a Proma Myplasm system, which is a complete system that does not need Mach , Sheetcam etc, it does it all in one package and just seems to work well for what it was designed for, so I am just about to install it on my table in coming days. :(
The cost versus risk of the Standalone THC project is just not there sadly because you will spend half to two thirds of the cost of a true THC that should work and have support for not too much more money.
So is the risk worth it ??
Can you please DM me, I am interested in this

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”