Shop Sabre plasma table discussion forum
Rftek
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

ShopSabre has acquired Langmuir CNC

Post by Rftek »

https://forum.langmuirsystems.com/t/lan ... 7f4c142c94

https://www.pehub.com/lfm-capital-backe ... r-systems/

I'm a Langmuir user, how are those Shopsabre machines? I have no idea, but this is interesting news
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: ShopSabre has acquired Langmuir CNC

Post by adbuch »

Very interesting! ShopSabre is know for high quality cnc router tables, so this makes perfect sense. As mentioned in the blog, Langmuir will still operate independently under the Langmuir brand. So really no changes as perceived by the end user. This is sort of like Ducati motorcycles (I own several of them and am a big fan). Ducati is owned by Lamborghini, which in turn is owned by Audi, which in turn is owned by VW.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Looks like there may be a price increase for the Langmuir table coming.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
FabLab
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by FabLab »

I received my Langmuir MR-1 a few weeks ago. I have it assembled & have made a few test chips & I have to say this news makes me nervous.....
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I'm not sure why there would necessarily be a price increase coming due to this merger. If anything, I would expect that perhaps the combined efficiencies of the two companies could help to reduce their overall build costs while maintaining their competitive pricing. Also don't know why this news should make any of the new Langmuir owners (or potential owners) "nervous". I fully expect Langmuir to continue with their high quality and great customer service, just as they have provided since inception.

David
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

I guess it makes me nervous because anytime there is an acquisition there can be major changes and not always with the customers best interests in mind.
I did quite a bit of research on Langmuir before I made my purchase & felt comfortable with the reputation they had, I did no research on ShopSabre or LFM Capital. so I guess that's what makes me nervous
You could be absolutely correct and this could be great and I hope you are, I guess time will tell :-)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

different view when a company buys out the competition it is to remove a lower price from the market supply. Reduced selection make prices go up.
Not saying the ShopSabre people are bad its just business.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:37 pm different view when a company buys out the competition it is to remove a lower price from the market supply. Reduced selection make prices go up.
Not saying the ShopSabre people are bad its just business.
Tom - you may be right. Only time will tell. We'll wait to see if the Langmuir crossfire series goes away or has drastic price increases. I hope you're wrong on this one. But I have see the scenario you describe before back when MSC bought out Enco and Rutland. In those cases their goal was to eliminate the competition and monopolize the market with higher prices.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Statement from Langmuir:

"The Langmuir Systems team is excited to announce a partnership with CNC Industry powerhouse, ShopSabre. The ShopSabre team brings 20 years of experience designing and manufacturing CNC routers and plasma tables that are used in a variety of high-precision operations to cut wood, steel, aluminum, and other materials. While the two companies will continue to operate on a largely independent basis, we are most excited about the combined experience and collaboration between the brands that will further advance Langmuir Systems on its sole mission to bring affordable industrial technology to the masses. Between the two companies, there is now a CNC solution for everyone!

As always, Langmuir Systems will continue to support our products, software, and community with a near term emphasis on expanding manufacturing capabilities and shortening our lead times. Moving forward, the core engineering team at Langmuir is excited to narrow its focus to product development in order to accelerate the expansion of accessories, support, software and new products for the hobbyist and small business markets. We are beyond excited for the partnership and the opportunity to advance the mission that we started years ago! For the full Press Release, please visit the link below."
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

LFM Managing Director Dan Shockley added, “ShopSabre and Langmuir were both founded with the mission of making CNC technology more accessible. While the companies will continue to operate independently, we are thrilled to partner with them both to accelerate this mission through cooperation, collaboration, and continued investment. LFM looks forward to working with the ShopSabre and Langmuir leadership teams to fuel growth opportunities going forward.”

My conclusion from these "press releases" is that the two companies will continue to operate independently, but the synergistic effect may result in shortened lead times for the Langmuir products along with increased innovation at a more rapid pace.

I still remember it was just a few years ago when Langmuir first came out with their initial offering - the Crossfire. This was a small (approx. 2 x2) cutting table with computer control for x and y, but not for Z. The Z height was set manually. So pierce and cut at the same height. But as I recall special introductory price for pre-orders was somewhere around $1000 or so. I have 2 customers who purchased these and they were just "tickled pink" with the results they achieved. So Langmuir has come a long way in a fairly short period of time.

David
Rftek

Post by Rftek »

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping that Shopsabre can help with Langmuir supply chain issues

Return to “Shop Sabre Forum”