Shop Sabre Sidekick table height?

Shop Sabre plasma table discussion forum
camotoe
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Shop Sabre Sidekick table height?

Post by camotoe »

Any shop sabre owners know the height of the top of the table? I'm wondering about using an engine hoist to load 4x8 and 5x10 sheets until I can afford a better set up. Either a jib or bridge crane would be ideal for me. Anyone have any experience with using an engine hoist?
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Shop Sabre Sidekick table height?

Post by AREA »

I am not sure of the exact dimension but I have been to see a Sidekick machine and I would say it's low enough to load with an engine hoist if you wanted to do so. What thickness of material do you plan to cut?
camotoe
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by camotoe »

Thanks for the reply. I'll mostly be cutting 1/8" and 3/16". I'm going to be a bit nervous about lifting a 5x10. Just kinda hard to visualize but hopefully its no big deal.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

We load 1/2" 4x8 with an engine hoist. We welded a short length of chain to two vise grips. Clamp them to a long edge about 2-1/2 apart. Hook to the hoist and lift. Roll the sheet over the table and lower the hoist until the bottom edge of the sheet touches the near side of the table. Then nudge the hoist ahead a little and slowly keep lowering. The hoist rolls under the table as the sheet lays down. You've got to get the boom out there quite a ways to get enough lift, but as long as you extend the legs it won't tip.
We put an air jack cylinder on the hoist so it is easier to raise.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
camotoe
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by camotoe »

Thanks for the reply. That helps me out a lot.
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by AREA »

camotoe wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:58 pm Thanks for the reply. I'll mostly be cutting 1/8" and 3/16". I'm going to be a bit nervous about lifting a 5x10. Just kinda hard to visualize but hopefully its no big deal.
That's not too thick at all. I have a shop cart that can be lifted and lowered with the built in hydraulic ram (Harbor Freight unit I think) and i drag sheets out of the back of my truck onto the cart, roll the cart over to my table, lower the cart to the table height and push the sheet on. If you find the sheet is hard to push onto the table due to it catching on deck slats get 2 lengths of 1/4" steel rod and lay them on the table and the sheet can be easily pushed into place and then just pull the rods out. Kinda redneck but it works for me :Like

Return to “Shop Sabre Forum”