Torch Height Hypertherm issues

Shop Sabre plasma table discussion forum
Munnin88
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Torch Height Hypertherm issues

Post by Munnin88 »

Hi Guys,
So I'm working with a shopsabre sidekick 8 with a 65A hypertherm unit, and I'm having a few issues getting this thing to work with me.
For starters when I have the Pierce height enabled, and send the cut job the torch will drop, collide with the material and abort due to the collision. I can only get it to work when I disable the pierce height function and set it manually.

Recently, I have been cutting parts that have some inner geometry, once I set my torch and hit go it will preform the first inner cut without issue, when it moves to the outer cut the torch lifts and moves to position but will stay a few inches from the material and activate the torch, it then moves along the correct path but only licks the metal with the tip of the arc without cutting.

I am new to all things plasma and cnc, so any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again gents!
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch Height Hypertherm issues

Post by weldguy »

You have a great equipment there, this should be easily solved. One issue at a time is always best so start with the initial material sensing for pierce height. What material sensing method is used, ohmic clip, or limit switch activated touch and retract?
Munnin88
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Munnin88 »

I have the ohmic clip!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Are you using a post processor that is set up for an Ohmic sensor. If so there should be a G31 just before the pierce action is in the G-code
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I suspect this is related to your ohmic sensing. AC has some good advice above, check for that.

Also does your software interface have an on screen indicator that shows when the ohmic clip is in contact with the material?
bwmetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bwmetalworks »

I have actually been experiencing the same exact issues except I have a langmuir table. I do have the 65 sync though and I just warrantied my machine torch with hypertherm. I explained to them these same issues and i've been getting error codes as well and they said they are noticing a trend with this issue
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

bwmetalworks wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:49 pm I have actually been experiencing the same exact issues except I have a langmuir table. I do have the 65 sync though and I just warrantied my machine torch with hypertherm. I explained to them these same issues and i've been getting error codes as well and they said they are noticing a trend with this issue
You are experiencing BOTH of the same issues as the OP?
bwmetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by bwmetalworks »

weldguy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:49 am
bwmetalworks wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:49 pm I have actually been experiencing the same exact issues except I have a langmuir table. I do have the 65 sync though and I just warrantied my machine torch with hypertherm. I explained to them these same issues and i've been getting error codes as well and they said they are noticing a trend with this issue
You are experiencing BOTH of the same issues as the OP?
not the collision issue, but the 2nd issue with the inner and outer cuts, yes
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

And what does your system use for material height sensing, ohmic clip, or touch and retract with a limit switch?

Do you have an on screen indicator that will light up when your material height is sensed at the beginning of a cut?

Return to “Shop Sabre Forum”