Fixing problems with sticking blow back on IPT-60 Torch

Discussion forum for RazorWeld, Everlast, and all other plasma cutters.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Fixing problems with sticking blow back on IPT-60 Torch

Post by msimpson99 »

I have owned my Everlast 50S plasma cutter since March of 2016, and have used it hand held and mounted on a CNC. It has worked flawlessly and I could not be happier with it.

Recently I have been getting a lot of misfires where the torch starts the airflow but does not start the pilot arc. What I noticed was the blow back mechanism was sticking. You can check this by removing the cap, and nozzle and pressing in on the electrode. It should move very smoothly when you press with no sticking. On mine it felt scratchy and would stick occasionally.

Fixing the issue
I could find no way to disassemble the torch-head, so as a last resort before replacing the torch, I decided to try a little WD40. I removed the electrode and squirted a very little WD40 into the hole. I then inserted the end of by compressor blower into the same hole and removed as much of the WD40 as possible.

I wiped off the head with a paper towel and reinstalled the electrode. A quick press revealed the scratchy feeling and sticking was gone. I attached the nozzle and cap and its now back to working perfect.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Fixing problems with sticking blow back on IPT-60 Torch

Post by weldguy »

Thanks for posting your solution, glad it worked, should help others in the future. If I ever experience this I will keep this in mind. I wonder if a dry lube would be better?
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

WD40 is not really a lube at all. WD stands for water displacement. It also acts as a degreaser. WD also drys very fast so it seems like the perfect choice, I don't think you want to lube it too much as it needs to make electrical contact as it moves to strike the arc.

I tried just blowing the head with compressed air, but that did not work. It is possible I had some corrosion buildup as I have a downdraft vented to the outside, humid air often makes its way back through the system if I forget to close the damper.

It is also possible I had some moisture enter through my lines, but I doubt it. I have an auto tank drain and use a coalescing filter and a desiccant dryer. Not really had any moisture problems in the lines.
Last edited by msimpson99 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sunnybunny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by sunnybunny »

Thank you for the info. I had same issues and replaced torch. Will try this method
Thank you
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
mechanic416
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mechanic416 »

You should remove the electrode, then blow it out with air in stall the electrode move it in and out a few times then add a little silicon grease to the plunger and work it in and out a few more times. It won't let me post a picture of the lube sheet from Tecmo.

Return to “RazorWeld, Everlast, & All Other Plasma Cutters”