HYPERTHERM DURMAX MACHINE TORCH ON PRIMEWELD

Discussion forum for RazorWeld, Everlast, and all other plasma cutters.
Patriot Steel
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

HYPERTHERM DURMAX MACHINE TORCH ON PRIMEWELD

Post by Patriot Steel »

Does anyone know if the above torch can be adapted to a PrimeWeld cut 60 plasma just courious.
Thanks
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HYPERTHERM DURMAX MACHINE TORCH

Post by acourtjester »

there are a few things to look at, first is does the PrimeWeld use blow back ignition on it's torches. The other is the electrical connection to the unit, the Hypertherm has a consumable safety switch in the torch and the fire signal it to the back of the Hypertherm unit. How does the air line connect in the torch.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HYPERTHERM DURMAX MACHINE TORCH

Post by weldguy »

I wouldn't even bother trying, those machine are very different.
Patriot Steel
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: HYPERTHERM DURMAX MACHINE TORCH ON PRIMEWELD

Post by Patriot Steel »

Thanks guy's
I'm just kicking something around I may switch to a Hypertherm I do signs and monograms and also race car and motorcycle fabrication and parts steel and aluminum any recommendations ?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I would suggest buying a previously owned Powermax 45xp, 65, or 85 while you still can and spare yourself the added cost of the Sync system as long as you can. Me personally, when my Powermax 65 dies I will go back to a Thermal Dynamics and see how that goes.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Patriot Steel wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:33 pm Thanks guy's
I'm just kicking something around I may switch to a Hypertherm I do signs and monograms and also race car and motorcycle fabrication and parts steel and aluminum any recommendations ?
I use and recommend the Hypertherm 45xp, as well as the Hypertherm Powermax 85. At this point, I probably would not hesitate to buy one of the newer Sync models if I needed something with greater cut capacity than the 45xp. They have the problems with their first version FineCut cartridge sorted out now and there are reports of cleaner cuts and longer consumable life using the Revised FineCut or any of the other cartridges. There is also an adapter available to use the Sync cartridges on the non-Sync Duramax torches as found on the 45xp, 65, 85, etc.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I'm with David on trusting Hypertherm, many manufactures introduce new products and sight problems. They see a problem and correct them soon as they can, how many cars have had recalls?? Depending on the thickness of the metal you cut the 45XP would be the first choice. I always buy the kits that have both torches, better then adding one later. Just leave the Duramax on the table and use the hand held for other cutting if needed.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Patriot Steel
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Patriot Steel »

Thank you i'm going to do more research and make decision.
Polargtx
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Polargtx »

You can actually buy a duramax torch for a primeweld here

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/225362078676?mk ... media=COPY
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Polargtx wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:17 pm You can actually buy a duramax torch for a primeweld here

Very interesting! Thanks for the link.
DSaul
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DSaul »

I have a Hypertherm Duramax torch on my Everlast 52i that was purchased from Plasmadyn on eBay. The consumables that came on the torch were a bit suspect and it was cutting with a bevel on only one side. I replaced all of the consumable parts with genuine Hypertherm parts and it cut great. It cuts way better than the Tecmo PTM 60 that it replaced and I can cut quite a bit faster too.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

weldguy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:00 pm I would suggest buying a previously owned Powermax 45xp, 65, or 85 while you still can and spare yourself the added cost of the Sync system as long as you can. Me personally, when my Powermax 65 dies I will go back to a Thermal Dynamics and see how that goes.
Agreed,

I posted this when the SYNC first come out and have not seen any hardcore evidence to prove it wrong:

Here is my rough cost break down on 65A consumables (I normally run 2 nozzles for every electrode)

$6
$6
$8
--
$20 / 2 = $10 per change avg Vs $53 for the SYNC setup So that is $43 savings per change out.

If you change your consumables twice per:

Month that's $86 x 12 = $1,032 / yr
Week $86 x 52 = $4,472 / yr
Day $86 x 5 x 52 = $22,360 / yr

The new system can be compared to the Lotto as it is a tax on those who are really poor at math..
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:10 pm The new system can be compared to the Lotto as it is a tax on those who are really poor at math..
:HaHa :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa :HaHa
plasmadyn
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by plasmadyn »

20230828_162555.jpg
20230828_162700.jpg
We are testing this setup right now on a Primeweld - with kdpmotorsports -
Using both an oem Duramax and the X125 Duramax clone torch
Creats some very interesting questions if results prive out -
like is a Hypertherm machine (or other high cost power supply) REALLY needed to get truly production quality results.

Cost will be the driving factor - that and how the chinese will circumvent US IP Law (aided by Amazon) and drive the price of these parts down.
We'll see

PlasmaDyn USA

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Very interesting. Will be following this topic!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Polargtx wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:17 pm You can actually buy a duramax torch for a primeweld here

So now there are Duramax torches that will plug in to the low cost import inverter plasma cutter! All they had to do was to bypass the safety circuitry......which can allow full cutting DC Voltage to be present when changing consumables (under certain conditions). There also are other features in the Hypertherm Powermax units that are what made the Duramax torches perform well in terms of life and cut quality.

1. There are co-ordinated current and airflow ramp-up features that improve electrode and nozzle life that automatically occur at the beginning of each cut cycle that are standard equipment on the Powermax units.

2. There are ramp down's of air pressure and amperage that also occur automatically at the end of each cycle as well, again standard on the Powermax units.

3. Further, the Hypertherm Duramax torches operate at higher cutting voltages than most similarly sized plasma power supplies are designed for......higher cutting voltages create a higher load on the power supply.....so Hypertherm designs their power supplies with a higher load voltage capability (as compared to lower cost import power supplies.) Expect that the Duramax torch will exert some stress on these power supplies when used at higher duty cycles and on thicker materials, possibly causing overheating and power supply failures. It is easy to copy technology, not so easy to understand it's reasoning!

I have had a Powermax65 (and 45xp and 85) in my shop for over 10 years......just got the latest 65 SYNC system. I am impressed with the consumable life compared to the earlier non SYNC units. The higher pierce heights and cut heights are a great advantage as well. As I put more time on the SYNC for both hand and machine cutting I will pass on what I learn. I suspect that even though the SYNC cartridges seem costly at the parts counter.....that with their improved cut life and more consistent cut quality that the overall cost per foot will be lower. Jim Colt

And....the non genuine aftermarket torches without a functional safety feature (parts in place and cap sensor).......sure doesn't sound like a good idea. The chance of exposing your self to 300 volts DC (open circuit voltage) is just not worth the risk!
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

jimcolt wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:46 pm

So now there are Duramax torches that will plug in to the low cost import inverter plasma cutter! All they had to do was to bypass the safety circuitry......which can allow full cutting DC Voltage to be present when changing consumables (under certain conditions). There also are other features in the Hypertherm Powermax units that are what made the Duramax torches perform well in terms of life and cut quality.

1. There are co-ordinated current and airflow ramp-up features that improve electrode and nozzle life that automatically occur at the beginning of each cut cycle that are standard equipment on the Powermax units.

2. There are ramp down's of air pressure and amperage that also occur automatically at the end of each cycle as well, again standard on the Powermax units.

3. Further, the Hypertherm Duramax torches operate at higher cutting voltages than most similarly sized plasma power supplies are designed for......higher cutting voltages create a higher load on the power supply.....so Hypertherm designs their power supplies with a higher load voltage capability (as compared to lower cost import power supplies.) Expect that the Duramax torch will exert some stress on these power supplies when used at higher duty cycles and on thicker materials, possibly causing overheating and power supply failures. It is easy to copy technology, not so easy to understand it's reasoning!

I have had a Powermax65 (and 45xp and 85) in my shop for over 10 years......just got the latest 65 SYNC system. I am impressed with the consumable life compared to the earlier non SYNC units. The higher pierce heights and cut heights are a great advantage as well. As I put more time on the SYNC for both hand and machine cutting I will pass on what I learn. I suspect that even though the SYNC cartridges seem costly at the parts counter.....that with their improved cut life and more consistent cut quality that the overall cost per foot will be lower. Jim Colt

And....the non genuine aftermarket torches without a functional safety feature (parts in place and cap sensor).......sure doesn't sound like a good idea. The chance of exposing your self to 300 volts DC (open circuit voltage) is just not worth the risk!

Good info. Thanks Jim!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)

Return to “RazorWeld, Everlast, & All Other Plasma Cutters”