Everlast CNC Port Errata - How it really works

Discussion forum for RazorWeld, Everlast, and all other plasma cutters.
joer00
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Everlast CNC Port Errata - How it really works

Post by joer00 »

I see this thread is still somehow active, so I hope maybe someone can help here. I posted my problem at another thread ( see link below).

The issue is, when I plug in the CNC torch instead of the handheld torch, it immediately starts ! I connect a simple switch to Pin 1 and 2 and it does not matter if this is on or off, it is always son and does not stop. Even with nothing in the CNC port at all, the machine immediate starts.

Someone in the other thread mentioned that the wire in the torch needs to be fixed, but gave not details. So I would appreciate if somebody here can tell me what I need to do to have a simple on an off switch.

Thanks
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

joer00 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:09 pm Someone in the other thread mentioned that the wire in the torch needs to be fixed, but gave not details. So I would appreciate if somebody here can tell me what I need to do to have a simple on an off switch.
That would have been me. Apparently this is not uncommon with generic torches. Its probably becasue they assume an on off switch is moved from the torch body to outside the torch. With a CNC interface, its a totally different circuit that triggers the torch. What we did was check the hand torch could be triggered by the CNC port, disassembled both torches, and reviewed the wiring side by side with a muiltimeter and confirm what happened when the hand torch trigger was pressed and what was different, then made the machine torch electrically identical to the hand torch with the trigger off. Its so long ago I can't even remember what the issue was. All I remember is that it did not work and 30 minutes of trouble shooting solved the problem!
joer00
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by joer00 »

Great thanks. Ok tis should be straight forward, looks like just the on/off in the CNC is set to always on.

Will take it apart and post back the details here once fixed so other have a roadmap :)
horse60
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by horse60 »

Heavychevy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:44 pm I would like to say thank you for posting this fix. I have a everlast power plasma 80s and this works perfect for the proma thc! My board was different than the one above but the pinout was the same.
Hi, I am a newb and I have the same machine & board you have pictured, will this give me the 50:1 ?
Thanks for any help
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by prairiecreekmfg »

well, let us see if anyone is still monitoring this thread. I just got my new everlast 82i machine in yesterday. I have tested it and it cuts fine, though I have not tested with a pattern, just manual cuts. I did notice that the voltage read out on my proma myplasm software is very very low compared to what I am used to seeing from my thermal dynamics cutter. I am getting single digit voltages out. So not sure how this will affect my thc. first question is does anyone know if everlast corrected the voltage divider circuitry? my jumper arrived in the left most pins and glued in place. the manual states that this is indeed 50:1 . DOes anyone have any new experience with this?
Fadal 4020 with 527 control
Haas VF3
Bridgeport Series 2
Clausing Lathe
Millermatic 251
Millermatic 252 with push/pull for aluminum
Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 58
Everlast 82i
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Define very low. What voltage did you see on your TD and what are you seeing now, same current, same speed, same torch height?
In my experience, the TD was a bit higher (maybe 20 deg C) but that could be because it had a higher torch height in it's chart.

It does not really matter if the voltage is poorly measured as we care about torch height and voltage is the process control variable and the relationship between voltage and height won't change if it's measured poorly consistently.

Everlast is a 50:! divider, but not a high quality one, it's just that some measuring hardware gets it wrong as it may have a resistor network internally and sees the Everlast resistors as an extension of this and gets it wrong.
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Thank you for responding. I was reading about 12-20 volts in my software. After much internal debate, and done feedback from proma, i decided to solder the jumper, same as i seen in this thread. Voltages are now as expected. In the 120v range depending on cut parameters. I feel confident that I've made the necessary corrections.
Haas VF3
Bridgeport Series 2
Clausing Lathe
Millermatic 251
Everlast 82i
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

120 volts sounds pretty right to me. Glad you solved it.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Great info, thanks for posting back. Very interested in trying out the 82i for myself to see how it compares to my Hypertherm.
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

I received an email from everlast today confirming that the jumper wire soldered in is an acceptable method to correct this known issue. So far, I am very pleased with the plasma cutter, with one caveat. It seems to be a little noisier electrically than my thermal dynamics was. I had to order a new usb cable, UGREEN brand recommended by proma themselves. My 15 cable I was using with the TD will sometimes disconnect comms with the everlast.
THe new cable will be in tomorrow, I will check to see if the issue persists. I will report back.
Haas VF3
Bridgeport Series 2
Clausing Lathe
Millermatic 251
Everlast 82i
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Awesome, appreciate all the extra info. Curious to see how the new usb cable works for you.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I can't believe USB is used on a Plasma controller. 5 volts in a USB port will be very susceptible to electrical noise. Normally you would want 24 volts which is far more impervious to noise.

And yes, the noisier environment can be seen in the torch voltage fluctuations when comparing plots between the two brands.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Indeed a USB connection would be very vulnerable to noise. Not sure what the difference is in the new cable he has on order but maybe it has some ferrite chokes incorporated into it to help out. We will see.
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

well. I installed the new usb cable today. 15ft in length. works great. No disconnect issues. there is indeed a choke on each end of the cable. my previous cable had chokes as well. time will tell if this is a better product. the UGREEN as recommended by proma seems to be the right choice. and reasonable too. This cable was 13.99 on amazon, my other came from a local electronics store and cost me almost $40. so $$ doesn't always mean quality.
after confirming flawless operation, i proceeded to hook up the 'arc ok' signal since the everlast supplies it and the proma accepts it. I am seeing much better starts now.
Haas VF3
Bridgeport Series 2
Clausing Lathe
Millermatic 251
Everlast 82i
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

That is good news and thanks for posting back about your experience with the UGREEN usb cable, may be a good solution for someone else with USB connection issues in the future :Like

Return to “RazorWeld, Everlast, & All Other Plasma Cutters”