Everlast 60i

Discussion forum for RazorWeld, Everlast, and all other plasma cutters.
punksable
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Everlast 60i

Post by punksable »

Has anyone purchased the Everlast 60i new model they came out with. I purchased one for my Langmuir pro table. Currently waiting on my box two so I can assemble my table which will be here tomorrow. It has the cnc port for the thc and I was just wondering if anyone has the same unit and give me some directions or tips for wiring. I already have the 60i wired up and tried it out on some 1/4" and it cut like butter.

Just trying to get any info I can before I put together the table. I'm all new to this but this site is really good. The $20 to join was well worth it.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Everlast 60i

Post by Rodw »

Make sure you read this thread. https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=23700
It does mention the correct connector to use to connect to the plasma port.
It will depend on your THC hardware but there is a divided arc voltage, raw arc voltage, Arc Ok signal and a Torch on signal
All of these are documented in the manual for the machine with the caveats mentioned in that thread.

So the torch on is easy. You just need to connect each side of the relay contacts to the Torch on pins. Connect the coil side to your CNC board to the Spindle on signals.

The divided arc voltage or the raw voltage needs to be connected to your THC. Set the divider appropriately.

The ArcOK pins connect to each side of a relay inside the plasma cutter, So you need to connect one side of these pins to field power and the other side to your ArcOK input. So when the machine establishes a valid arc, the relay contacts close and your input is enabled. There is a potential trap here. You need to make sure the circuit draws more than the minimum current of the internal relay (about 100 mA from memory) otherwise you will get oxidisation buildup and intermittent operations. It will depend on the impedance (resistance) in your circuit to determine the resistance value and wattage but you may need to add a pullup or pull down resistor to get the current through the relay above the minimum relay current specification.

If you have any unexpected results from the divided arc voltage, if your THC supports it, use raw arc voltage. If your THC requires scaling resistors, be sure to include the 200k resistance in the Plasma cutter as part of the scale. Don't worry about using raw arc voltage, the resistors are there to ensure the currant is reduced to non-lethal levels.

Note that with the default Everlast torches Ohmic sensing is not available unless you purchase one of the torches mentioned in the errata thread above. (Although it may be possible using the hypersensing circuit mentioned in the plasma primer linked to below). I don't have my Everlast anymore so I could not test this.

Finally before you get too much further, I recommend you read the Plasma Primer at LinuxCNC. Some of it is specific to LinuxCNC but the vast majority of it is general in nature. (Full disclosure: I wrote it with a lot of input from the experts at the Linuxcnc forum)
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/pla ... rimer.html A lot of the data in there comes from an Everlast 50s.

Finally, if you have not purchased motion and THC hardware, give some consideration to LinuxCNC's Plasmac plasma controller. You can put this together for $188 for a Mesa 7i96 and a Mesa THCAD-10 board and this will give you what many believe is the best plasma controller available becasue all the THC action occurs inside LinuxCNC where it is integral to the Motion controller. That means the THC has full knowledge of whats going on so it can implement corner lock and the like that other controls can't do (becasue it knows what the actual cutting speed is at any moment in time (well every millisecond). Also, becasue this method means LinuxCNC knows the arc voltage, it can use it sophisticated PID based control of torchheight instead of the relatively crude bit bang Up/Down signal approach of many other THC's. You can lean more about Plasmac here: http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/pla ... guide.html
punksable
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by punksable »

I got it figured out, i tapped on to pins 1 and 2 of my cnc port for the torch trigger and opened up the plasma cutter and tapped on the raw arc wires located right before the control board. works great now!!

If anyone buys a 60i pm me and i can help with info if needed.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Great you got it going. Did you try using the raw arc voltage pins on the CNC connector?
toolboy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by toolboy »

Rodw wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:14 am Great you got it going. Did you try using the raw arc voltage pins on the CNC connector?
same question here.
I am going to try running the Langmuir THC that came with my Pro table off the pins of the CNC connection of the Everlast 60i...
punksable
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by punksable »

I tried the pins for the thc on my langmuir pro table and never got a true reading to make it work. The only pins that worked right are pin 1 and 2 for the torch fire. I saw where others ran a jumper on the board with mixed results so I tapped on the raw arc before the board. Everlast even told me to tap on to them there.

So what i ended up doing was avoiding the cnc port all together. The pins you must tap on are so small and you better have master skills to solder on them. Being 48 and my eyes are terrible I tapped onto pins 1 and 2 behind the cnc port in the unit and tapped onto the raw arc before they went into the board and ran the wires out the back where the cnc port is. I put the everlast cnc socket inside the unit and zip tied it inside. Really wish everlast had made a adapter for the cnc socket with wires already on it for easier connecting.

Now my live voltage is 96.0 and smart is 97.0 when i am cutting at 30amp at 65ipm and the cuts are great.

i included pictures also of what i did, like i said i never got true readings from the divided pins and the raw pins in the diagram that comes with the everlast 62i.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Thats great. I don't think the raw arcs is wrong out of the CPC port. In the other thread I linked to there is a pic of a multimeter at 83 volts while cutting. Thats roughly 10 volts lower than you but the machine torch was using was always 10 volts lower.

The real issue is that with some THC's, the resistors inside the Everlast are seen as the THC's voltage divider network and distorsts the results. That is not an isssue with more expensive machines. (Like my Thermal Dynamics)

Return to “RazorWeld, Everlast, & All Other Plasma Cutters”