HowTo do a simple 1 axis cutter using Everlast Powerplasma 80s

Discussion forum for RazorWeld, Everlast, and all other plasma cutters.
joer00
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

HowTo do a simple 1 axis cutter using Everlast Powerplasma 80s

Post by joer00 »

Hi,

I did create a simple rail with a stepper motor to do vertical cuts (on shipping containers). Rail and motor works, I can set different speeds (simple Arduino setup) and now I need to control the cutter. We currently cut manually, so I thought is is sufficient to just control on/off.

In some other posts I was reading a lot about voltage etc settings. I hope I do not need this for my simple task ? Would a simple on/off switch connected to pin1 and 2 work ?

Thanks for any help

Joe
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HowTo do a simple 1 axis cutter using Everlast Powerplasma 80s

Post by acourtjester »

If the cutter can be hooked to a CNC table it will have a connector on the back with pins that are for different functions, 2 pins are used to torch fire. You could setup a relay with the contacts used to connect the 2 pins to fire the torch.
Now if you are using a hand held torch with a trigger you may need to see if it needs the trigger bypassed, it is a safety, this info may be in the manual.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13716 ... =29#manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13716 ... =25#manual
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I think I'd use a momentary switch. The Everlast has a mode that turns on when you pull the trigger and off when you pull it again. I think that would be perfect for you. Experiment with your hand torch.

Shipping containers are pretty thin steel so they may warp a bit when cutting. Give it a go and see how it goes!
joer00
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by joer00 »

Thanks for the info, we put a simple manual switch at pin 1 and 2 but the problem is that this is only the main arc. The pilot arc and air starts right away, even if there is no plug in the cnc socket at all. I can switch off the main are when done but that's about it. When I switch the machine on, pilot arc starts and the stops if it cant fire. Once stopped, there is no way to restart the pilot arc but switching the machine on and off.

I am reading that pin 3 is a kind of work piece ground ? Is that needed ? Anything else I need to do o have this working ?

Thanks for all the help.

And yes, cutting the containers is a HUGE problem. As they are used the wall is under great tension and on cutting moves in quick speed. I think a distance controlled z Axis will not do, it moves to fast. Maybe a spring loaded system which keeps the torch in correct distance ? Anybody did something like this ?
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Pin 3 is connected to the workpiece clamp via a resistor so that voltages are reduced to non lethal levels. Check this resistance with a multimeter and the socket to confirm but I could read the correct resistance on my 50 amp Everlast.

You would be surprised how quick a good thc can react
joer00
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by joer00 »

Thanks, but this does not solve my issue. Any more help would be appreciated :)

Again, the MAIN issue is that no matter if I connect or disconnect pin 1 and 2, the pilot arc and air starts. The arc goes out i it never gets to cutting arc, but the air stays on. Whatever I do, I wont get a new pilot arc. Only way to get it is to switch the machine on and off.

Regarding Pin3, from what the docs say below, it looks to me like this is connected INTERNALLY to the work piece and only needed to be used IF the CNC board asks for a ground. I do not have such, so I think it is not needed.

"Pin 3 is what some controller manufactures refer to as “Ground” this is connected directly to the work piece lead, which is actually a positive polarity. If the controller has a pin for ground this is likely the pin to use."
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Hi, this time I reviewed my connection sheet I used for the Everlast. You can ignore Pin 3

I think you are using a machine torch with your machine. I almost totally forgot that I also bought a machine torch from Everlast with my machine.
I had to modify the wiring inside the torch to get it working right.
I had totally forgotten about that until somebody on another forum had the same issue as you had yesterday on a different machine.
Some quality time with a multimeter comparing the machine torch and checking the wiring against the hand torch resolved the issue.
I'm sorry but I can't remember what the problem was or what we did to fix it. It was too long a go.

Return to “RazorWeld, Everlast, & All Other Plasma Cutters”