Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme Troubleshooting/Anyone have a service manual to share?

Discussion forum for Lincoln & Miller plasma cutters
TXTig
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme Troubleshooting/Anyone have a service manual to share?

Post by TXTig »

I have a Miller 625 SN MF063116P (I have the owners manual) that I’m trying to trouble shoot before I take it to a dealer. It’s my utility cutter that I use for general off table cutting. I use a hypertherm 85 for table cutting which has never skipped a beat.

When powered up the fan comes on, turns off, on again faster, off, on again faster and the power light flashes. I also get the three pulses on the cup icon indicating possible stuck consumables. Below is what I’ve done.

Confirm voltage to unit is 240V
Installed all new consumables
Cup micro switch has continuity when depressed
Trigger micro switch not stuck, closed circuit when depressed.
Air supply is 120 psi. I use a refrigerated air dryer, filter before the unit and opened the case to make sure the internal filter was perfectly clean
Blew inside of unit clean with compressed air although it was not very dirty
No evidence of black marks on circuit board or blown capacitors
Disassembled power cord and no evidence of shorts, corrosion or bad connections
Disassembled torch head and no pinched wires or obvious wiring issues.

I’d like to see the service manual if anyone has access to one or if there is something else I can check.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme Troubleshooting/Anyone have a service manual to share?

Post by weldguy »

Sounds like you've done all your homework and all the tests. Searched high and low for a service manual I thought I had from years ago but no luck. Hope your able to get it resolved.
TXTig
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme Troubleshooting/Anyone have a service manual to share?

Post by TXTig »

I gave up and took it to the LWS where I bought it and they are going to send it in for evaluation. I think that if it is the board I'll just take it back home and buy another Hypertherm. The hypertherm I use on the table has worked flawlessly for nearly 3 years; sometimes cutting up to 8 hours/day. Just used the Miller to trim pieces and cut pipe saddles.
TXTig
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by TXTig »

Wanted to post an update on this problem if anyone is considering purchasing a Miller. Took the machine to my LWS where I purchased my Hypertherm 85 (excellent machine that runs 5-8 hours/day with no problems) to get troubleshooting done. They sent it off to the outfit in Dallas that they use for all repairs. Get a call today that the board is toast and repair will cost $2500. Since I know nothing about repairing these, am out the $150 diagnostic fee, and don’t want to gamble I’m not going to get it fixed but instead looking at a Hypertherm 45XP to replace it.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

TXTig wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:34 am ...repair will cost $2500.
Wow, is that not more than it cost?

I feel your pain

Blue / Red are not always best.... go with grey!
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Raw deal, ya not worth that.
TXTig
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by TXTig »

Yes more than the cost. Kind of at their mercy that they are being honest with me on part cost. Had to pay a diag fee (I don’t expect people to work for free) and for me a second opinion was not worth it. Going to go with the Hypertherm 45XP as my other Hypertherm has been super reliable.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like

Return to “Lincoln & Miller Plasma Cutters”