Cutting thin gauge steel arc goes out Lincoln Flexcut - Torchmate

Discussion forum for Lincoln & Miller plasma cutters
bearkatroper
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Cutting thin gauge steel arc goes out Lincoln Flexcut - Torchmate

Post by bearkatroper »

Hello, I am having trouble with cutting thin gauge steel. My student brought in some 22 gauge cold rolled steel from TSC to cut out roses as a project. The problem we are encountering is that the arc would pierce the metal but then go out during the cut. I'm thinking maybe a grounding issue so we first took the grinder with a blending disk and went over the metal then put the ground clamp directly onto the metal and we managed to cut one flower pedal and then back to fire once and drag. I changed out all the consumables before we started cutting. To make sure it wasn't something wrong with the system I tried 16 gauge hot rolled and it worked flawlessly as it should. We are running a torch mate with a Lincoln Flexcut.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cutting thin gauge steel help on Torchmate

Post by ROKCRLER »

What amperage are you cutting at?
When i cut 22ga i have to lower amps to between 25-30ish or it blows out at pierce or when it slows around curves.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

If you have the choice - are you using FineCut consumables? Also what speed are you cutting?
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I would expect you are using a 40 amp nozzle and have your machine set to 40 amps for that material as a good starting point. If that is what your using and you have this issue the first thing I would look for is a Yellow LED lit up in the LED row in the upper right corner. The second LED from the bottom is the one you may see lit up and it would indicate low gas pressure. Do you see this lit up when the arc goes out mid cut?

Return to “Lincoln & Miller Plasma Cutters”