LINUX and CommandCNC fears

CandCNC plasma table components discussion forum
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

LINUX and CommandCNC fears

Post by tcaudle »

We hear often that users are afraid of switching away from Windows based (often obsolete ) controls to the LINUUX based CommandCNC. I did up a Q & A based on a lot of the questions I get in e-mail and on the phone. Maybe this will help remove the fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) about LINUX.

https://www.candcnc.com/knowledgebase/q ... out-linux/
motoguy

Re: LINUX and CommandCNC fears

Post by motoguy »

I was concerned about moving from Windows (Mach) to Linux (CommandCNC) as well. You'll find several posts here and on the CandCNC forum where I was questioning CommandCNC users, up to a year before I made the switch.

Once I made the switch, I never looked back. CommandCNC offers many benefits over Mach, and no downside that I can see (now that Scananything works w/ CommandCNC).
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Found that very informative Tom!! Thanks
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

After I converted to CommandCNC, I liked Linux so much that I converted my office computer to Linux also. A couple of times a year I come across something that I need Windows for, but otherwise I never boot up my windows computer anymore.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I've only used LinuxCNC, or going back far enough, EMC2. The package is stable and is very flexible. The group of people who make LinuxCNC what it is, always go above and beyond when needing help - all for free, software-wise. We have discussed offering donations but I don't think there is a vehicle to handle it.

I looked into CommandCNC, and while I am not 100% sure, I suspect that some configuration flexibility may have to be made unavailable in order to offer the features that it can provide. It makes sense to me to do this in order to support the system. Unfortunately, I like the way my table is setup and while I recognize the increased features of CommandCNC, my table works and then I think, why fix something that isn't broken.

I may re-visit ComandCNC someday, though... Linux O/S has been a part of my computing since 1993 or 1994. I like it.
Zero6200a
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Zero6200a »

tom I run a vitalsystems hilcon controller with there arch pro screen and mach 4 plasma. the thc is in the controller and runs in real time .. what would make Linux better in my case.. and is there a system you have I could order without motor drivers so I can run clear path motors what are the new controllers going to have for a controller board I hear the meca not being made any more
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

it has to have internal dedicated hardware for the MACH4 interface but Vital is one of a handful of hardware vendors that have compatible Ethernet Pulse cards for MACH4. The THC is rather basic (Promo 150) so will lack high speed performance primarily because of hardware limitations.

In looking at the prices, I would venture to say you spent quite a bit of money to get where you are, so I would recommend you stay there if you are happy with the way it works and cuts. The DTHC 5 has a lot of built in automation (stored presets, G-Code auto parameter load, optional interface to Hypertherm RS485 comm port, accurate remove voltage pickup and ultra high speed THC motion and response) You have to weigh that against what you have invested and decide.

Your retrofit path would be the MP3600 That would replace the Vital cards and Promo 150 and still use your drivers, motors and DC power supply. That comes with a preloaded PC and OS and CommandCNC control software (analogous to MACH 4) .

There is a lot of FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) about moving from Windows, and the linked QA addresses some of the misunderstandings. It's not to impugn a Windows based system or other hardware. It's to point out the jump is not as far as it appears.

Return to “CandCNC Forum”