Plagued with problems...pierce height, volt readout

CommandCNC related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Glstiles
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Plagued with problems...pierce height, volt readout

Post by Glstiles »

Running Linux CandCNC on a 5x10 StarLab with a Hypertherm 85.

I have had very minor problems back to back to back and just seems like one thing goes wrong after another. First off, my "Motion Hold" and "Delay Active" light are ALWAYS on when I am cutting. Paired with this, I am getting no active reading of torch volts. Sometime the torch will even lower to hit the metal in order to move to the pierce height but instead it will just move down to a random height and fire instead of touching off. I have been doing as much reading as my brain can handle but I don't seem to be finding the right answers and I know it is a software problem.

PMW checks out on the volts test reading around 120, and I called Hypertherm and checked some components in there and all of that checked out as well. Is there any chance that the cable that plugs into the PMW and CPC could be bad? I have heard that can cause some whacky problems and that it is not always necessarily noticeable.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plagued with problems...

Post by TJS »

I see your post over at CandCNC. One thing I have had drop out was the 4 port hub. The male 110v plug was messed up not making connection with plugging it in sometimes, thus the hub would not get power intermitt. There should be 2 red lights on the 4 port hub. There is another diagnostics screen that shows errors. What does that say. Also connect your work lead to your piece you are cutting. Is this machine new to you or have you been running good and all of a sudden this started happening. What is your air pressure at the inlet of your Hypertherm85.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plagued with problems...

Post by weldguy »

It sounds me like you are still able to cut with the "motion Hold" and "Delay Active" lights on. If that is the case forget about that and the torch volts for now and move on to the other issue you have which is random pierce height. Need to get this resolved before moving on to the next issue. So does your setup use an ohmic clip to sense the material at the beginning of a cut or does it use a touch and retract system with a limit switch?

Return to “C&CNC CommandCNC”