installing freecad on linux pc

CommandCNC related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Jason@bc
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

installing freecad on linux pc

Post by Jason@bc »

I'm trying to install freecad on my linux pc, and can't seem to do it, is there a specific way to go about it?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: installing freecad on linux pc

Post by tcaudle »

Jason@bc wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:00 pm I'm trying to install freecad on my linux pc, and can't seem to do it, is there a specific way to go about it?
Couple of things to consider:
1.FreeCAD is a resource hog and will probably cause your LINUX control PC to not be able to run code or CommandCNC at the same time.
2. Its a 3D drawing program it is a bear to learn . It has a 2D workbench but that is sorta half hearted Fi you are not going to do 3D millling or router carving its way overkill for doing 2D or 2.5D work.
3. You might try the Software Manager option in the LINUX menu and see if it show up in a list for that version if Ubuntu (14.94 on older machines)

That PC will be a 32 bot OS so if its 64 only its not going to work

I think I would consider usingFreeCAD on another Linux PC with 18/04 64 bit and a little more Horsepower than the PC's used for CommandCNC. I have an 8 processor LINUX PC with SSD, 16G RAM , and separate high speed graphics card, and it runs FreeCAD reasonably well but I have never tried it on smaller PC's.

Get more help on the CandCNC Support Forum.
Jason@bc

Re: installing freecad on linux pc

Post by Jason@bc »

Thanks for the info Tom.

Return to “C&CNC CommandCNC”