Randomly losing arc

CommandCNC related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Mr.Hotwire
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Randomly losing arc

Post by Mr.Hotwire »

Good evening, working on a Bladerunner UBOB CommandCNC setup, and I have one lurking issue. I'm losing arc, but it's not stopping the machine.

Randomly, I will lose arc. Then a second or two later, again randomly, it will fire back up. The movement of the CNC doesn't stop.

The torch on light stays lit on CommandCNC, but the Arc Ok light on the Bladerunner main box goes out. As does the lights on the PWM module and the act light on the Digital Current Module. But the machine continues with its movements. In fact, the Hypertherm doesn't even hiccup, it arc off then on immediately without any error.

I have used the tests for the PWM module, and the DCM to check for ARC OK, and 123-126v from the PWM. And 100v from the DCM.

I have rerouted all of the cabling to try and mitigate noise.

The table does NOT an earth ground. The HT is plugged into its own outlet, the UBOB (and accessory power supplies) ARE plugged into the same outlet as the PC and monitor.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Randomly losing arc

Post by weldguy »

Strange. I would have a look at the LCD screen on the Hypertherm the moment this arc loss happens. You may see an error code on the screen that will help to determine the issue, likely loss of sufficient air supply or something. Have a look and let us know the code you see. Will be 0-20 or something like that.
Mr.Hotwire
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Mr.Hotwire »

No errors on the HT. I do believe I found part of the issue.

The HT is an 85a unit with a CPC port. The original builder had the DCM installed. Perhaps they were using an other machine at that time? I'm not sure of the details. But the DCM provides the ARC OK, as does the HT CPC port. They were either conflicting or perhaps even overloading the circuit.

I unplugged the DCM... no more stops and starts. :)
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Sweet, thanks for posting back.

Return to “C&CNC CommandCNC”