Copper color by accident

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Copper color by accident

Post by muzza »

Unfortunately the pics don't show the true color but this has a medium copper coloring stronger around the edges

closer view

I'll try and get better shots of some other pieces but how did I do it?

Answer, when I cut bits I put them in a diluted Hydrochloric acid solution to remove any dross. I have two different baths, one a larger one and then this one is a plastic tub with a lid for smaller parts. Recently I cut some pieces from some old copper header tank and although I left those pieces with the natural patina, I threw one of the offcuts in this tub to see how it cleaned up (perfect incidentally) and this must have left a copper residue which deposits on any steel components that go in the solution. Now that that one's contaminated I'm going to play around with some other bits to see what happens.
fergy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Copper color by accident

Post by fergy »

i like it would be good to see if will rust now
may work with zinc as well just a thought or gold even 8-)
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Take 2
Last night I put a cold rolled sign in the solution and also threw in a scrap of copper (piece above) and left it overnight. As you can see color is pretty the same between both.

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I had a similar thing happen in the past with the copper, I think you will find the coating is not really connected very well to the steel.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

Use K77 root killer along with a drain cleaner that contains sulfuric acid and add that mix to distilled water and it will do the same. it will kill spray bottle springs over time but works great. rinse, dry and seal right after to keep the copper finish bright.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
harrymorley
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by harrymorley »

i would venture a guess that electro-plating with low voltage direct current would work also. Cathode , anode kinda thing. Google would have an answer.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”