3 D printed floating head assembly

Topics related to 3d printers and 3d printed plasma table accessories.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

3 D printed floating head assembly

Post by acourtjester »

This was passed to me from a guy I am helping build a table :Yay He has a link for the STL files on Thingiverse :Like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqnqnRb3voU
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
machinedude
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: 3 D printed floating head assembly

Post by machinedude »

i am currently working on a build of my own and did something like this for my floating head set up. i don't own a 3D printer but machined my parts for this set up and went a step further and added a magnetic break away to the design. seems to work very well so far. i will know for sure once my build is done and start testing things out under power. the only difference in my design was i used oil filled bronze plain bearing rather than the linear ball bearings. i'm only 3 weeks into my build so i have a ways to go still :)
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Happy to see other DIY builder here, the break-a-way is a great addition. Adding an option at the start is easier them an afterthought.
Keep on trucking get ready for the "Happy dance" when you cut the first part. One suggestion is to make a pen holder for testing purposes it is a great help to check table alignment without wasting metal. Have fun
https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... er#p172006
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
machinedude
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by machinedude »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:01 am Happy to see other DIY builder here, the break-a-way is a great addition. Adding an option at the start is easier them an afterthought.
Keep on trucking get ready for the "Happy dance" when you cut the first part. One suggestion is to make a pen holder for testing purposes it is a great help to check table alignment without wasting metal. Have fun
https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... er#p172006
when i put things together it will be square on the first shot. i'm not a welder and don't want welds simply because it throws all the precision out the window unless you machine it back to being square after you weld your assembly, that takes some big equipment that i don't have at home. what i do have is a Bridgeport and 30 years of machining under my belt. so keeping things square is not an issue, tracing some basic shapes out to check the drive settings i can see doing for sure. my first plasma table but far from my first build as far as CNC goes been messing around with this sort of stuff for the last 20 years or so :)

what i have noticed over the years is your designs revolve around what machines you have to work with so what i do could be totally different from someone else for that reason. i like building stuff so all this is fun for me regardless :) well back to it this is not getting me a table built :)
LakeCruiser
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by LakeCruiser »

I put one of these on my machine and love it!
Homemade 36X36 table
Can go from Plasma to Router in 10 Minutes
American Modified Chinese Controller
Proma Electronics THC
Cambam and Mach3
Longevity Forcecut 40D
Miller 211 MIG Welder

Return to “3D Printers & Printed Accessories”