30 gallon or 60 gallon air compressor?

All topics related to compressed air supply.
Ferrous_fabricator
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

30 gallon or 60 gallon air compressor?

Post by Ferrous_fabricator »

Hey guys, I need some of ur experience and expertise in deciding on what air compressor size I should buy? I obviously know the 60 gallon larger-sized air compressor is my best bet. My problem lies in not only providing electricity with the 220 volt plug but also not wanting to put too much stress on my breaker for my garage considering I also have to power the entire house including, pool pump, dryer, washer, air conditioning unit, oven and various other appliances. My real question to you guys is will a smaller 30 gallon air compressor tank be able to keep up with my plasma table that I bought from Premier plasma? Still waiting to recieve it. I'm just trying to figure out some loose ends before I get the table Thanks guys!!!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 30 gallon or 60 gallon air compressor?

Post by djreiswig »

Your plasma cutter should have a cfm requirement, and the compressors have specs on the cfm they can provide at different pressures. That is what I would go off of.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Go at least 50% bigger on the cfm requirements and get the bigger tank. The bigger the tank the less cycling on the motor saving you $$
Bucket8577
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Bucket8577 »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:40 pm Go at least 50% bigger on the cfm requirements and get the bigger tank.
Good advice.
Newbie to plasma cutting.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

I also agree with Sego. I was taught the rule of thumb was to size a compressor at minimum 150% of your requirements. Compressors have a duty cycle much like welders....they need a rest period unless they are rated at 100% D.C. Sizing larger than you need allows for this.
MetalnTrucks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by MetalnTrucks »

It's tough finding the right compressor size because companies often times exaggerate compressor's CFM ratings. From my experience an average 30 gallon compressor will get you by for small hand cuts on a machine 45 amps or less. For any type of CNC table I would 100% go with a 60 gallon compressor. Those are the only compressors that offer a sufficient CFM rating.

Like others have mentioned duty cycle is also something to consider as running the guts out of your compressor can make it bite the dust pretty quick.
Joe243672
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Joe243672 »

I have a 25 gallon max air with two ten gallon tanks plumbed in because of limited space. The compressor puts out 18.5 cfm at 90 psi. And works awsome with my table and pm85. Its not a cheap compressor though. Bought through home depot online. Im in process of building a shop. When that happens im going to mount compressor and motor to a 100 gallon tank and get rid of the stock tank and smaller piggie back tanks. i also added a after cooler that i built out of a trans cooler with two self draining water traps. I get less then a water bottle cap full of water eveytime i open compressor tank drain. An i only open that drain about once a week
Crossfire Plasma Table
Hypertherm pm 85 cpc rs-485
Miller 252 mig
Miller dynasty 280 Tic/stick
Metabo Mag drill
various Fab equipment
4x8 precision plasma table
G5 c and cnc controls
“ the Shop “ were it all happens

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”