automatic compressor drain

All topics related to compressed air supply.
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

automatic compressor drain

Post by btburn »

I usually drain my compressor after every use but i was thinking about getting an automatic drain for it. I'm tenors by the cheap kids in fleabay.
What are you guys using?
Do you have it on its own plug or wired into the compressor wiring?
Thanks
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
762frmafr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: automatic compressor drain

Post by 762frmafr »

I think an auto tank drain depends on the rest of your air compressor set up. I do not have one, but my set-up is overkill. I still drain my tanks daily though.
GPM870
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GPM870 »

I have an old auto drain from an deceased air dryer that the company I work for threw out. It was the only thing worth anything from the old dryer. I do remember it come from McMaster Carr but I don't remember the cost.
I put a standard 110 volt plug on the auto drain and keep the plug right on top of the start switch so I remember to plug it in when I turn the compressor on. When I finish for the day I unplug the auto drain and turn off the ball valve before it as the bits of rust or gunk makes the auto drain leak every once in a while.
I wouldn't have a compressor without one now that I have used one. Every 10 minutes, a 5 second shot of air and water come spitting out. Nice dry tank now... and I don't have to remember to drain the tank. :D
Gerry
Powermax 85
Sheetcam
Mach 3
4 x 4
burntables table
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I ended up going with the SMT Max automatic drain and I'm really happy with it. It was the only one that didn't seem like just a rebranded cheap chinese import.

http://www.smtmax.com/detail.php?id=222

It mounts easly, has a servo controlled ball valve type drain and you can have it drain anywhere from every hour to every 99 hours. It seems really well built and was a fair value at around $125 on ebay.

I have it drain into a homemade "silencer" to keep it from scaring the wife if she's in the garge when it goes off. It's just a section of 1/4" poly line with holes drilled through and put in some 4" pipe full of rags and capped off with a bunch of small holes in the bottom.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

What's the max psi on the SMT?

Paul
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I'm not sure what the max is, my Quincy runs at 150psi and it's a pretty stout feeling valve. I'm assuming that whatever the highest standard pressure for a compressor would be it's max. Excluding Scuba compressors and other ultra high pressure units.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

I just have a VANAIR electric Auto Drain... blows for 30 seconds every hour... Cost about $85 or so... You can adjust the time and frequency but longest period is 1 hour and 1 Minute... I like it with a long burst every hour... keeps pretty dry. you can install a hose to run it wherever.
I have had the type that are actuated by the unloader, worked for a while then clogged up. This one has a screen, if it gets clogged you can remove the screen easily and the piston and wash them off and re-install. My compressor is an 80 Gallon 30 CFM @ 100 PSI unit... I installed this when it was brand new, and had initial pains with weld spatter from inside the new tank causing it to hang up after a few times I think they are now all out of there, it seems to work fine.

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”