Water / filtering question

All topics related to compressed air supply.
Engineer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Water / filtering question

Post by Engineer »

Just bought an 80gal Quincy to run my new Crossfire Pro plasma table and new Scat 940 sand blaster. Trying to figure out air drying, and if I really need to add 'extra' drying for the sand blaster. I live in Southwestern Michigan, about 30 miles from Lake Michigan, and it can get EXTREMELY humid here, and it rains frequently to boot.

I was thinking a good coalescing filter after the compressor, followed by a tee - one leg to the sandblaster (no further filtering), the 2nd leg to the plasma with a desiccant filter, and finally (to catch any desiccant) a Motor Guard filter. I've attached a crude MS Paint drawing showing my plan.

Have been looking at these... Trying to keep it budget-friendly while getting quality USA parts/equipment).

Made in the USA regulator / coalescing filter: https://www.tptools.com/1and2-Inlineand ... ,8657.html

Milton made in the USA desiccant filter: https://www.miltonindustries.com/1-2-co ... -2-qt.html

Motor Guard made in USA filter: https://www.tptools.com/1and2-Coalescin ... er,74.html

Am I missing anything or going about this wrong? Any advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Water / filtering question

Post by DieselFumes »

Oh ya, you will want to dry the air to your sandblaster or you will see moisture coming out with your sand and corrosion of your clean parts will begin immediately. If your blasting a lot you will need to dry your desiccant more often but that's not a big deal. I use the Sharp 6760 3 stage dryer sold here shop/dryer_sharpe6760.html and it combines everything you have in your pic in 1 unit (with the exception of the motorguard filter which you really don't need) and holds a whopping 5lbs of desiccant so it actually lasts a pretty long time. If you installed this unit right where you have your regulator and filter located you would be done.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Many use a type of air cooler after the compressor to remove most of the moisture before any filter, like this guy.
There are many more on YouTube too.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Engineer
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Engineer »

DieselFumes wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:44 pm Oh ya, you will want to dry the air to your sandblaster or you will see moisture coming out with your sand and corrosion of your clean parts will begin immediately. If your blasting a lot you will need to dry your desiccant more often but that's not a big deal. I use the Sharp 6760 3 stage dryer sold here shop/dryer_sharpe6760.html and it combines everything you have in your pic in 1 unit (with the exception of the motorguard filter which you really don't need) and holds a whopping 5lbs of desiccant so it actually lasts a pretty long time. If you installed this unit right where you have your regulator and filter located you would be done.
I saw the Sharpe after I posted this. Thinking I’m going to get it from here. Wasn’t sure if I needed anything other than a coalescing filter for the sand blaster, so thanks for the response.
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Engineer wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:16 pm I saw the Sharpe after I posted this. Thinking I’m going to get it from here. Wasn’t sure if I needed anything other than a coalescing filter for the sand blaster, so thanks for the response.
:Like :Like
X53Gunner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by X53Gunner »

From a new guy to a lot of this Thanks for posting this!
RodneyDangerfield
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by RodneyDangerfield »

Thanks for posting this, Engineer. Im not to far from you and had the exact same questions for running the same table. Im up here by Grand Haven and my biggest concern was the humidity we get here. Sounds like the sharpe is the way to go. I have been so spun up about getting dry air. My biggest concerns were either not having enough to get dry air, or overspending on a bunch of stuff i didnt really need. I think im just gonna bite the bullet on the sharpe system and hopefully be done with it.

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”