Rotary Screw Air system

All topics related to compressed air supply.
Madhouse Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Rotary Screw Air system

Post by Madhouse Metals »

I'm in the final stages of installation of a new Shop Sabre 5 x 10 table with an 85 amp Hypertherm. Next step is an air system. This is the one on the top of my list, and I would like to see some unbiased reviews. I want to keep my equipment USA made, so if anyone has another brand made here, let me know what model and how it's working out. I have two 200 Amp single phase panels in this shop.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Rotary Screw Air system

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Eaton makes some good compressors as well (all types) I have a 20hp 3 ph two stage piston unit that has done me well for over a decade.
Madhouse Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

After getting your feedback and ones on other forums, it seems like Eaton may be the better choice. I reached out to them for information and hopefully I can get something ordered soon. I want to get some sparks flying ! Thanks for your response.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

We've got a 30 hp Gardner Denver rotary screw at work. I think it's got over 70k hours on it. We had the pump replaced a few years ago, and put a new motor on it, but it runs all day every day. Not sure if they're US made or not.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Madhouse Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

It's hard to find a ( completely ) made in USA compressor as they use some imported part to assemble. I'm in contact with Quincy and Eaton trying to size a unit for my needs. It seems as though most of the feedback I get is either from people that have a hobby/side-job table or a full blown production shop with a unit like you're describing. My table is considered light-industrial and will be used quite often and a Big Box piston compressor won't hold up. It looks like I'm kind of in the middle with what I need. I
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Yeah lot's of variables and choices to go with them. When I bought my system I knew plasma and sand blast cabinets would be in the shop down the road but I was also running a lot of impact guns that required the 150PSI range to bust those big rusty nuts loose. Perhaps a 7.5 to 10 hp single stage would handle your needs? Single stage runs cooler with less condensation and gives you a longer pump life..
Madhouse Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

I'm pretty set on a Rotary Screw but I haven't decided on which brand. They are pricey though! I think it'll be worth the investment down the road. Thanks for your reply, I have looked at the different piston types but decided I want to buy something that'll stand up to the abuse for years to come.
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cstroke »

I talked to a service guy for an air compressor company.
He personally liked piston styled for small/medium sized businesses. Maintenance was a big reason, he said rotary was very expensive.
Have you seen the Eaton quiet compressors? I was looking at those a bit ago.
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
Madhouse Metals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thanks for your input. I haven't made a move yet as I have some other pressing jobs that need attention first. Now I see that NAPA sells a brand of these but they're made in Italy. I'd really like to purchase a USA brand, but it would nice to deal local and have their support of needed. Never would have thought it would be so time consuming to make a decision on this. I'm still learning towards the Rotary Screw type. I have information on the Eaton ones you said about and the Quincy.
Idontcare909
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Idontcare909 »

cstroke wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:27 pm I talked to a service guy for an air compressor company.
He personally liked piston styled for small/medium sized businesses. Maintenance was a big reason, he said rotary was very expensive.
Have you seen the Eaton quiet compressors? I was looking at those a bit ago.
I was at one time a service tech for air compressors and this is so true. there are a lot of variables here, one huge one is who is doing the maintenance, you or a compressor company? Rotary screw maintenance is more involved and way more expensive, the oil is more expensive and there are more parts to replace. another thought is your air demand, rotary screw are meant to run, good ones are low speed motors and air ends, they also have a 10 min timer on them to run unloaded, this is for multiple reasons, the main one being that it is more efficient. if a motor starts more than 6 times a hour its better to keep it running. maintenance on a good rotary screw is every 2000 hrs, half service and then full service at 4000 hrs, but on a Quincy like you're interested in I would do a full service every time at about 3000 hrs. those compressors are high speed "screamers" the air ends are spinning extremely fast. they don't last and are not American mad, they are all import junk, will it make air, sure, but its not gonna last. a palatek rotary will easily see over 100,000hrs if taken care of. if you're not running it hard enough it can and will make water (condensate) in the oil because it wont get hot enough to flash off the water. i have bought a compressor with less than 200 hrs on it locked up and full of rust because it wasn't ran hard enough!

Champion are American made compressors still, if you know what you're looking at you can buy a reciprocating compressor that will last a life time. most reciprocating compressor pump have a horse power and RPM Range. for example a HR5 pump can be ran by a 3, 5, 7.5 HP motors. the 3 Hp version will last forever because of the slow speed. the 5HP last a long time because still slow speed and not very loud and runs cool. the 7.5 HP version literally shakes its self to death, runs hot as hell and is louder because of the high speed. Sullivan Palatek rotary screw are USA made but everything under 15 hp are screamers as well.

Usually under 15 HP of compressor there is no reason for a rotary screw. you can have two 5 hp reciprocating compressors that are slow speed and install an alternator between them so it will run one then the other and if the pressure gets too low it will run both. and you can do this with what ever HP compressors your decide to go with.

Good luck in your search, this is definitely a buy once cry once situation. the Quincy will work but id suggest against it

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”