need some experienced user advice

All topics related to compressed air supply.
jdneal88
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

need some experienced user advice

Post by jdneal88 »

I've ordered a PUMA TN-5080VM two stage low rpm air compressor. Lowest priced low motor speed I could find. ($1550 delivered) also ordered the sharpe 6760 3 stage air filter, and am building a homemade water trap like I've seen many examples of on here. I plan on running through the 1/2 tubing homemade water trap and installing a Tee to run the rest of my shop and only using the sharpe for plasma cutter or if I need good air for painting and such. I read where 1/2 tubing is good for over 20 cfm up to 30ft or so then you need 3/4. Is it stupid to install 3/4 from the Tee after the 1/2 tubing to run 80 or so feet to rest of shop? It makes sense on the charts but Im having a mental block on doing it due to 3/4 being after the 1/2.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

ctgolfer1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: need some experienced user advice

Post by ctgolfer1 »

I built a poormans air dryer almost a year ago and it works fantastic, very happy with it, BUT, full disclosure, I dont plasma cut for a living, more of a hobby.
Even on the longest runs on the hottest most humid days in July I get some water out of the first leg just drops out of the second leg and I have never seen a drop of water out of the 3rd leg so you are on the right path.
I doubt putting 3/4" after 1/2" would do you any good , except it will look cool, the cost of 3/4"inch pipe is not horrible- but the fittings are stupid exspencive.
If you need that much volume for something you would have to make 2 1/2" dryers and put them to a manifold feeding the 3/4".
Good luck with your new cool toy.
Last edited by ctgolfer1 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctgolfer1
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: need some experienced user advice

Post by ctgolfer1 »

20190811_164008.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”