Shearing question

All topics related to bending, forming, notching, drilling, saw cutting, etc.
JayG
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Shearing question

Post by JayG »

My shop neighbor has an old 10' Niagara 14 Ga steel shear. They use it a lot but, on mostly 18 ga aluminum for outdoor signs. He asked if he could safely shear 4' x 3/16" aluminum sheet. From looking at some shear capacity charts, a shear can handle a bit thicker aluminum than the steel rating, but the 3/16" aluminum is over twice the size of the shear's steel rating. Also, it's only 4' and not the full width.This is a one time thing, not to be done on a regular basis. Can they do this safely and without running risk to their equipment? The sheet is a "soft" aluminum. Thanks.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller EconoTig
Miller MIG
Lincoln MIG
Millwright Knee mill (older than me!)
LeBond Lathe (older than me!)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Shearing question

Post by acourtjester »

You may see if you can find a manual for it, to see what the manufacturer list as shorter shearing spect. Have they even checked if 3/16" will even go into it.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
JayG
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by JayG »

I'm thinking they haven't checked to see if the 3/16" will even fit! Didn't cross my mind either. I've never had access to a shear that size and know very little about them. I found the original factory manual and charts, but didn't see any shorter shearing info. Thanks for the reply. I didn't even know what to call the "shorter shearing". A little more searching and if I can't find something definitive, I'll tell them "no" and to cut it out on their router ( a big Sabre ) or I'll cut it on my plasma table for them. Thanks again.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller EconoTig
Miller MIG
Lincoln MIG
Millwright Knee mill (older than me!)
LeBond Lathe (older than me!)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

My guess is that 3/16 will fit under the blade, but I would not recommend attempting to shear this. It might work once or twice with a hydraulic shear, but could damage your blade. Better to use a band saw or other means to cut.
David

Return to “Metal Bending, Rolling, Notching, Drilling, Saw Cutting”