Grounding cable on waterbed issue/question

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Grounding cable on waterbed issue/question

Post by Pyro1983 »

Wasn't sure where to post this but a quick search didn't yield any similar issues. A day ago I had noticed a small puddle of the solution that we use in the plasma table. It was on the floor in front of the plasma machine. Didn't think to much of it, figured some had splashed out and made its way there to dry up. Today, it was still there so I looked closer. I have had the ground cable clamped to the sheet of steel for several days and the terminated end of the clamp was below the water. The fluid is actually wicking all the way through the cable, down to the machine and then dripping onto the floor! So before I left today I unhooked the clamp so it at least stops doing this for now. Has anybody else seen this!? Also, what's a quick homemade remedy for this? I prefer the ground being attached right to the workpiece..
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Grounding cable issue/question

Post by djreiswig »

Supposedly it's in the manual of the Hypertherms.
viewtopic.php?t=23136#p140565
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Pyro1983
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Pyro1983 »

Thanks! Apparently I didn't search with the correct key words. Looks like I've got some modifications to make!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

The information from Jim Colt I found quite interesting. I have a water table/tray - but it is well below the grates so this is not an issue for me. But good to know about for future reference.
David
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Grounding cable on waterbed issue/question

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

The older units 1000 / 250 / 1650 has the work lead attached to the circuit board. it was not uncommon for water to wick up and short out the board. Work around to this is the common stud for grounding or install Tweco disconnects on the leads to isolate the wire from the board.

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”