Use a muffler on smoke and dust?

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Use a muffler on smoke and dust?

Post by Countryguy »

HI everyone!
Just getting started in the Plasma CNC world. I have a precisionplasma 4x8 with CandCNC BladeRunner. A 50 amp Igbt Everlast powerplasma.

I have it in the basement. I have it all working and did first light (cut) the other day. Now it is time to vent this junk out!

Ok here goes on the odd ideas!
Something that seems to come up as a #1 factor is extremly hot gas and debris. As I read these about the hot gases and debris that will go into the suction stream I figured.... Heck a tractor muffler or small auto muffler would probably work great as a first stage debris & junk removal? (just let it build up and then toss it?)
From there it could be moved to a few other stages? As I kept reading how how effective water is on the tables, It reminded me of the weird water pipes folks used upon a time. The water-bong!
Could stage 2 be a container filled part way with some agitated water or some of the weird elixer mixtures that I read about. Send the gas up from the bottom thru that. (Thinking of say a 15gal to 30 gal ). Let the water do the cleaning ??
From the top of the water tank run Suction stage 2 and move the cooled stuff somewhere?.... Also, what would be a good stage 3? So am I nutz? Or worth a try? 3cents and even a lauge or two welcome. CG.

btw/ my first post here of many I am sure! My 16hr old Son is getting into Cad/cam and we are having a blast working together on this stuff. I get to by his CNC table boy! :-)
Last edited by Countryguy on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

51 views. Any comments gang!Re: Use a muffler on smoke and d

Post by Countryguy »

Hmmm. have i made the plasma gods angry?? I thought it a good idea on the muffler part at least???? Lol
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Use a muffler on smoke and dust?

Post by Countryguy »

I will update along the way.
this evning i Picked up an autozone thrush turbo auto muffler for 27$ on the way home. The muffler reduced the suction power by about 1/3 or more. I may just try something else w/ larger volume and inlet outlet sizes.. They sell 3" and 4" mufflers. But they get pricy. I am going to return this end one and try the thrush welded. It is a baffle design -vs - the turbo perforated pipe and small chamber.... Anyway. Fun to experiment!
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you are approaching this all wrong.

The last thing you want to do is restrict exhaust air flow.

On another note, a you would need a Chevy 454 to turn a fan fast enough to create a down draft across a 4x8 table through a 2" opening . . . . . . I know you are joking.

Look at a backward inclined blower that will give you 3500 cubic feet per minute at 2" sp . . .

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Countryguy »

Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it. Been in plasma field for say 3 weeks now and learning a ton!
Not joking. From a number of things I read they noted that all the particles sucked up and consumed needed someplace to go? Besides the fan inlet? So I thought a dual chamber would be an answer???

What could I use as a washable filter inlne in a 5 inch diam flex pipe. Wll go google that next? rather that instead of the muffler. That would be ideal !!!

This is not for a table downdraft. It will the type that hangs near the torch end suspended a bit above then material and to the side. A 3" flex tube! That was my thought anyway.

I guess I could have described my poc (proof of concept) design a tad better. And we're having some fun doing some things.

I called on a few professional units. All were several thousand. The high end. Sucker device on the site is 600. Just wanted to try something simple. Everything can be returned less a little flex hose for $8 for 8feet.

I did get my volume back up. There was a Y adapter under the styrofoam. So I doubled up on the suction across the muffler. It Really helped.

I just want to yank this junk out of the basement. And collect the heavy stuff in a chamber before expelling someplace.

My son and I are brand new to all this and have seen a really similar system on the precisionplasmallc site. That was the inspiration.

Again thanks for the FYI. Appreciated. Jeff.

Thanks for letting me know some things and suggestions. Was appreciated!
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Do a google search on "wet scrubber" You can make quite simplified and effective units which will clean large volumes of air with minimal pressure drop.
Murray
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Part III - Any Wet Scrubber links? Was: Muff for smoke and d

Post by Countryguy »

fitting Quote as I'm a TE fan!
Thomas A. Edison; To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
..well at least a muffler and some hose).

Thanks for the info. I found a few things. If anyone has a DIY wet scrubber link I'd appreciate it. Honestly I found a home coffee bean roaster who used plastic cat litter containers as a crude start. I will keep digging.

I did put everything up last night. Table & Vacume/Fan are running under under the plasma table itself. Fits nice.
Z axis has a strapped 3" ducting right down near the nozzle for pickup. Suction is really pretty strong. the 3" ducting rolls along just fine suspending over the table. Rolls to any position. Again, It's a proff of concept at this point. And I'm learning. Give me 6mo to a year and I'll be in a good way I hope. I'm 1 month into this.

....Again, I see a DIY wet scrubber in my future ASAP if someone has a better link than I've been able to find. Maybe I'll try Bing. I'm surprised every now and again w/ their results.

Equipment list on this btw:
Harbor Freight 3000 CFM (2 horse motow) w/ 5" inlet on a Y ($140 w/ coupon and current Sale! ).
Muffler - 27$ (with tax.).
qty 3 - 3" flex ducting. 24$ (8 apiece).
5" Steet flex tubing (25 ft) to push this out. $10
5" to 4" reducer to hit the galvanized Dryer duct (9$) vent to outside.

...so I guess for $230 dollars out the door it's not that bad a setup... Is it?
I never give up. something I want my Son to see. Imagination is the key to success for about everything.
If someone wants a pic and a Smile - I could post one?
Time to now put in the 4" & 5" hose and wall mount w/ quick connect/disconnet from the HF 70gal vac unit.

We want to make some test runs and actually cut something- But that's pretty darn evident.

Later all! TGIF . Jeffrey.
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Countryguy »

! I did remove the Muffler. Yes, Sad but true. The pick up and backpressure of the thing (as you all knew) left little choice. I just need to setup a wet scrubber and give that a whirl when I have some time.
Being new to such a (now) entry level CNC/Plasma setup is both exciting, and has it's challenges. But making progress. we are up and running and venting and it's working really great!
Last edited by Countryguy on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Dual input smok/runs FANTASTIC -Use a muffler on smoke and d

Post by Countryguy »

Ok, Final update on this... Title should be someting like Newbie gets a schooled in Vacume assy
Muffler was returned. Yep! It was something to have fun and try. So - Here is what my Son and I came up w/
A dual input suction via 3" ducting to the Harbor Freight 70gal 3K CFM air vacume. One input is on the torch assy. the other is on a long slotted tube assy. I put in a pic to let it tell the story. While It may look really odd and 2-bit, we could NOT smell even a wiff of smoke in the small area we have. The gantry moves right over the table vacume tube assy. Of course I need to be careful it is not in the path. I found out how effective that was immeiatly upon first cut! Hope is helps someone along the way?? Was pretty inexpensive as noted in the other posts above.
vacume2.JPG
Vacume1.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”